Tool for exporting iNaturalist data to iRecord (or elsewhere)

Sure! Its just mark one.
As I say at the bottom of the post, I’m hoping to make a version that can be used interactively directly in the browser instead.

In the mean time, its not perfect, but then not sure how many people will use it…so posting it partly to see if there’s interest. @SteveMcBill will likely be one of the biggest users - and, as he says, he found it easy enough.

…and though the steps might sound like a bit of a rigmarole, there is really nothing complicated about using it. The installation of Anaconda itself is just like any other programme. The installation of the libraries is just a few pip commands. After that its basically just pressing the run button.

It would be really nice to have a GUI version as you say, but this would be a fair amount of work when iNaturalist already has an export tool page which they might well change soon anyhow to incorporate the things which lead to me doing this.
Could be a good challenge for me though!

I think its also good to try and help “demystify the API” as @pisum mentioned on another thread - it makes sense to me to help open people up to the use of the API / pyinaturalist through doing simple tasks.

3 Likes