Two iNaturalists walk into a bar

Ohhh, this is difficult to answer because (1) I have not tried black licorice in many, many years and so do not remember the flavor especially well and (2) I have no brewery knowledge whatsoever.

I think our liquor is sweeter but it is not overly sweet. It is sweet in the way that ginger bread is sweet, which is to say you taste the herbal notes and appreciate them.

Also it may be useful to know our honey tastes very different here because it comes from very specific bees (Melipona). Many beekeepers sell honey that is plant-based because they know where their bees go, so that there are also flavors of the honey and visible differences in color.

(The ones that live in my garden go everywhere they want and I do not take their honey so I have no idea how it would look.)

4 Likes

I really want to try this. It is one of those things that maybe crosses cultures.

2 Likes

sounds heavenly. I’d trade you some quality Araq for a bottle of that. Haha, I have my doctor’s permission to have one shot once in a long while – and my birthday is coming up!

2 Likes

I don’t like this rule… partly because it seems to be enforced unfairly. And against me. Get off my lawn! >:)

8 Likes

If I could, I would always celebrate these kinds of things with a Savana dry … just for nostalgic reasons …having celebrated mayor inatting events (even before I had joined iNat) with it and also other breakthrough situations in my life … however, outside SA the supply is rather limited unfortunately.

1 Like

I would most likely celebrate with a local beer. Some of them have nature based names and/or art on the labels. Wicked Weed Brewing would be the goto right now.

This post brings back fond memories of time spent in a bar with iNat folks. iNat was in Raleigh for a meeting and called a gathering. Fun time, got meet Carrie and some others. (Also recently ran into Carrie’s, um, sister?, someone close, at a bookstore in VA. She saw my iNat hat and we started chatting. Nice.) @carrieseltzer

2 Likes

2 Likes

I have steeped wintergreen in rum and in vodka. Yum.

4 Likes

I have never tried them and probably never will, but local places here often have drinks called Enzian (gentian liquor) or Zirbe (pine liquor). And I do find it intriguing that people are drinking the rare flowers and trees I look for every day.

2 Likes

Oh fun, @tallastro! That would have been my sister-in-law or one of my nieces.

I always love meeting people from iNat in real life. Raleigh was fun indeed!

2 Likes

A friend was in an international beer of the month type club and shared with us some Rare Vos (Strange Fox) beer. Not a big drinker but it tasted to us like spiced rum beer. Really enjoyed it.

It’s history is as a pub beer. Their web site says pairs well with frites and mussels. Yes please

We visited Heidrun Meadery in Marin County yesterday after a hike. We’ve been there a few times, mostly because it’s fun and unique, and it’s interesting to see if mead made from the honey of certain plants tastes how you think it would taste. Orange blossom mead has a nice hint of orange, the chokecherry had a slight cherry flavor, and the Marin County wildflower mead definitely tastes a bit like radish, I think due to that invasive species being fairly abundant.

We also tried some of the international meads that used Chilean Ulmo Blossom, Tanzanian Miombo, and Ethiopian Getome. I’m not familiar with those flowers at all, but they had very distinct and strong flavors, it was pretty cool.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.