Upload screen stuck on 'Uploading 1 of X photos...'

just tried uploading the photos on my laptop instead of my desktop, and the issue persists, so it’s not my PC that’s the issue

are you using Windows? if so, open up Task Manager >> More Details > Processes > (sort descending by Network) while you’re uploading (and stuck on a pending photos post request), and see if you can see how fast you’re uploading your files (on your browser process).

fluctuating between 0 and 0.1 Mbps

assuming your ISP should allow you to upload > 0.1Mbps, then for some reason, you’re just uploading really slowly. i’m not sure how to help you beyond that… maybe restart your ISP gateway and see if that helps?

1 Like

will try that later today when I get the chance (when family doesn’t need it)

1 Like

oh… if there are others using the connection, it’s possible that the others might be maxing out your bandwidth periodically, causing your post photo request to start, thinking it has very limited bandwidth to work with (causing the upload to proceed at a very slow rate). (but if this occurs regardless of whether there are others online, then that disproves that hypothesis.)

2 Likes

as a test, I swapped my PC over to using my phone hotspot rather than the WiFi, and the problem still exists, (and it’s still showing an upload speed of 0 Mbps); I thought this solution would have worked?

go over to the performance tab. is it actually 0 kbps or is it very close to 0?

this is using the hotspot

look at the wifi section, not the cpu section, but don’t post a screenshot unless you redact the IP and network name. are you seeing actual upload activity there while your iNat upload seems to be going slowly?

in the wifi section, both the send and receive have values of 0 kbps; every 5-15 seconds there’s a small spike up to anywhere between 8 and 56 kbps, but a lot of the time it’s sitting at 0

in this case, you’ll want to pay attention to the send side. make sure you have only the upload window open. do the periodic blips in the send activity seem to correspond to the same blips in network activity associated with your browser process?

if so, honestly, i’m not sure why you would see the same very slow upload performance going through 2 different connections. i was going to suggest going through a VPN, but i think 2 different connections already suggests that your connection probably isn’t the issue.

you tried different computers, different connections. so the remaining common things would be your iNat account, iNat servers, and possibly some chain of connections leading from your ISPs to iNat’s servers…

maybe iNat staff might need to look at what’s going on on the iNat side to see if there’s a problem there? (but why would it affect only you?)

EDIT: can you try going through a VPN on a different continent? i think that would help to rule out the chain of connections between you and iNat.

1 Like

I just tried it through a US VPN, and the photos are uploading, albeit very slowly; the latest one took almost 2 minutes for a single photo. The send value is fluctuating greatly, constantly going from anywhere between 0 kbps and > 1Mbps

edit: photos are still loading, but increasingly slower with each one. Also, now other things are going super slow that weren’t before; it took 45 seconds for this comment to save and send

the load speed per photo seems to be getting exponentially slower with each one, starting at 15-20 seconds for the first few, now it’s been stuck on photo 9 for 5+ minutes

I just disconnected from the VPN and went back to my normal connection, and the upload is continuing to work… (and indeed upon returning to my normal connection, it’s got a bit faster…)

just tried another batch, it’s working but unbelievably slowly
this is immensely frustrating

and now, without trying anything new to fix it, uploads are working as normal. No clue what on earth went on here, but a huge thanks @pisum for your patience and help. Fingers crossed it keeps working

2 Likes