Uploading observations

Not a reply to your posting, but an urgent request for help!! Can anyone please advise me how to upload observations to the City Challenge via the website? I cannot use the app on my current phone. The deadline looms!
Many thanks!

https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/getting+started, use the video tutorial on adding observations from the web

3 Likes

You can use the upload page: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/upload. You also have plenty of time - as long as you have everything uploaded by 9am May 6, it will still count for the City Nature Challenge.

Enjoy! :)

3 Likes

It won’t let me add to the project from the app either. I wound up just uploading and then when I got home for the day batch editing my observations to add them to my local city project.

DOH! I see you are saying you can’t use the app at all. Yeah, as others said you can upload photos via the web on your computer. If you have joined the project for your area already, just add sightings to the project as you would any other project.

you don’t have to add them, if they are mapped to a location with a CnC that is active they will be added automatically.

3 Likes

You can totally use the app! But you don’t need to add your observations to a project (and the quirk of these collection projects is that you can’t select them in the app anyway) - they’ll automatically show up as long as they’re made between April 26 & April 29 in your city’s boundary. Use the app or the computer - they’ll both work!

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Have you actually joined the project for the city challenge? If so, any observations made between the specified dates will automatically be added to the project, granted they were made in the correct vicinity. When you go to the project page, the join tab is at the top right—well it was on our project page.

You don’t even have to join the project for them to be picked up, but if you do join you will be able to see that they are in the project on the observation page. It may be worth noting that in a lot of cases, the project doesn’t appear under the projects section on the observation page right after you upload the observation, but will do so after a short time (an hour seems to be typical). I think this is due to indices or other “under the hood” stuff being delayed as low priority while the site is under heavy load.

1 Like

Ha, I didn’t know they didn’t actually have to join. This was my first time doing the nature challenge. That’s definitely good to know! Thanks for correcting me. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes