Use of a car for observations

I would venture to say that you did meet that goal – you might not have visited as many as you wanted to, but you visited as many as you could.

I highly recommend the mobile app “Where is Public Toilet.” It’s a wiki, so all mapped toilets were added by users – a daresay all or nearly all American Canyon locations were added by me.

And that bothers me. I saw a story about a seabird die-off; when it came to the part about “What’s being done,” the answer was basically, “documenting.” Documenting doesn’t help unless and until it leads to real preservation actions.

I confess that I’m biased – it seems that I’m seldom in the locations where I would most want to do that. I just find it hard to sustain interest in a region already overrun with naturalists. There may not be any blank spots on the map anymore, but there are certainly blank spots on the ecological and natural history map.

When I was young, my dream was to live in a remote biological station in the Amazon or Congo – because those are places where the biota is still little-known. iNaturalist has exactly one observation of a Congo peafowl in the wild. I doubt you will find any North American or European bird like that, especially not one of comparable size to the Congo peafowl. There is a reason we have that thread, Operation Dethrone Mallard. I agree with the premise – “it’s been done to death.”

Now, if your green birding practices lead you to the small, inconspicuous, and seldom noticed (as in biota other than birds; probably other than vertebrates), well, I would call that a redemption. Edwin Way Teale began Grassroot Jungles with that premise. That’s what it would take for it to feel worthwhile to me.

3 Likes