What are some of the oldest living organisms?

Does the 40,000 year old nematodes count?

3 Likes

Sure, why not!

2 Likes

Some trees like banyan live about 200-300 years and even 500 years, peepal tree live about 900- 1500 years, And interesting fact is that they donā€™t even show senescence,it means that their body is self sustaining not like us which needs external support to live long.

2 Likes

Bangor University found an Arctica islandica from north of Iceland that was 507 years old, dated by the growth rings in its shell. I think they claimed that as the oldest animal. So the newspaper twisted it round to Bangor scientist kills worldā€™s oldest animal.

3 Likes

I think oldest species can be unicellular organism .If we provide ideal condition then I guess they will reproduce by asexual method. They will reproduce but not die, Because there reproduction only means reorganizing their old bodies and multiply number and also they do not have any much variation like we do

1 Like

Iā€™ve looked pretty closely at the literature on senescence in long-lived organisms. In pretty much every case, it comes down to us not being able to detect senescence with the limited data we have, rather than being confident they donā€™t. The two are often confused, even in the primary literature, but they are pretty importantly not the same.

3 Likes

Sir then what is your opinion of senescence in these organism.Do they start degrading from outside, and shen they just die ?

1 Like

How about the immortal jellyfish Turritopsis dohrnii?

3 Likes

My opinion is very specifically that we donā€™t have enough data to say for sure. I would guess that all organisms, to one extent or another, experience some level of somatic mutation accumulation, and that given enough time, any organism will suffer negative effects from this. But for many of them, that happens on a time scale that is long enough that either every individual dies of something else before senescence becomes measurable, or (for things that reproduce vegetatively) it becomes impossible to say what is still the same individual. One challenge with proving non-senescence definitively is that no matter how long oneā€™s dataset on a population lasts, one always has to wonder whether studying it still longer would have shown some sign of senescence.

2 Likes

Turritopsis dohrnii can under particular conditions be induced to revert to an earlier life stage, which can then grow into a medusa (the adult) which can then be induced to revert again. This is an amazing trick. It is not clear to me that this process can continue indefinitely, or that the individual expunges all forms of accumulated damage when it undergoes this backward development. So again, Iā€™d say we donā€™t have enough evidence to be confident that even under very particular conditions the immortal jellyfish escapes from senescence entirely.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree

1 Like

Fun story, being a park ranger in Everglades National Park used to be very dangerous for exactly this reason. Part of the reason Everglades was established was to protect ā€œplume birdsā€ like herons and egrets, and many early Everglades park rangers were shot and killed in the backswamps of Everglades National Park by would-be poachers. One of the well known victims was naturalist Guy Bradley.

3 Likes

For example:

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Midway_Atoll/wildlife_and_habitat/Wisdom_Profile.html

I still have my first parrot I bought in 1976. He is an Orange-winged Amazon, Amazona aestiva, wild caught, not tame, has sired a number of babies and looks better today than I do. Weā€™re going on fifty years and he was an adult when I obtained him. I know of only one story of a Blue and Gold Macaw living in the same family for four generations of owners - believed to be 120 years old when he died.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s truly a wonderful story! I imagine you have an amazing relationship after so much time together. :D

Iā€™ve been trained to provide the correct care for him for years:-) Iā€™m a quick learner.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.