What are the weirdest questions you have been asked about an organism?

I disagree, when malaria kills you the mosquito neither knows nor cares, when a hippo kills someone it knows fully what it was doing

3 Likes

oh no!
it’s better to ask questions and be honest. nobody should tease you unless you’re purposefully asking troll questions. that’s how we learn :)

3 Likes

Yes, I’m talking about Emulution.

Edit: In honor of the recent passing of Mojo Nixon, “why do you think we call it evolution anyway? It’s really Elvislution. We’re all moving in perfect peace and harmony towards Elvisness. Because Elvis was a perfect being.” - Elvis is Everywhere

2 Likes

Working at a national park visitor centre where people can ask anything, often we get some pretty strange questions. We do have a book of interesting interactions. But it hasnt had anything written in it for years, because after a while, no question is strange anymore.

I often get very entry level questions about things, but I think its awesome people are taking an interest, even if its in things that are generally common knowledge, where ever you start, its awesome you are getting on the path.

Not an organism, but a question which I found funny at the time which stuck with me was “What is the difference between the Cavern and the Tavern?”

They werent a native english speaker though.

4 Likes

Theres gotta be a clever pun there that I can’t think of

1 Like

Ones a dark dingy hole, the other is a cave.

(No offense to the current owners, they have worked a lot on upgrading the pub the last couple years).

8 Likes

The classic answer (Thanks to Terry Pratchett) is “Yes, all fungi are edible. Some only once”

6 Likes

Ah, the deeply entertaining and surprising wisdom of Terry Pratchett

3 Likes

Great minds think alike. ;)

https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/what-are-the-weirdest-questions-you-have-been-asked-about-an-organism/48772/14?u=whaichi

2 Likes

Well it’s the Apicomplexans in Genus Plasmodium that kill you, but I guess they aren’t animals.

6 Likes