What are your personal iNaturalist goals for 2020?

For me a few of my goals are finding more species. I am close on making 2000 species but there are a few I would like to get on my life list more than others and the big three right now are the Pileated Woodpecker, Luna Moth, and the Dragonhunter Dragonfly. All of these I have been searching for all my life. The only one I got close to finding was the Luna moth but all I saw of it was a dead one. Still pretty cool but it was not live so I couldn’t add it to my life list. Another goal of mine is to expand my exploration range and to get over 10,000 observations. I am at 8333 observations now and I hope to double that. As for other ideas I am not sure what else to cover but these seem to be the big things right now is to add more species and to add more observations and to expand my range.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum :)

Thank you! :)

I’d also like to try and find over 2020 species in 2020.

6 Likes

My goal is to be more patient. Until now I’ve been running around taking pictures of as many things as I could–this year I’m going to try to slow down, make some harder IDs and take better pictures.

10 Likes

I have some pretty lofty goals for this year.

• First I’d like to have an observation from every day this year
  • Next I want to try to get to 5-6k species by the end of the year
  • I want to have 40-50k observations
  • I want to thoroughly map out many of the trails in my home county
  • I want to have over 2,000 species in Colorado
  • Become the top observer in Peru (Preferably with 15k observations or more)
  • and lastly I want to try to do a lot more identification

Most of these goals seem pretty reasonable given how much I’ve done in 2019 which I haven’t uploaded yet due to the fact that Peruvian wifi is not my friend. I reckon that in 2019 I’ve brought myself up to 30k observations worth of photos or more, and now it’s just a matter of uploading them all!

8 Likes

My iNat goal for this year was to create a project to feature my local urban arboretum in Greenville, South Carolina. https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/gcgc-arboretum-at-kilgore-lewis-house which I just did. Now I need to figure out how to invite others on iNat to join it.

4 Likes

That’s a really attractive project! I am wondering since it is place-based why you haven’t made it a Collection project that would add observations automatically. Anyway the local arboretum (or local anything) is a good idea.

3 Likes

Observe and identify more orchids, as well as find more of the following:

• orchids
  • orchids
  • orchids
  • orchids
11 Likes

I really like how you decided to expand your scope to other areas! :) :grin:

Thank you! I thought about making this a collection project, but I wasn’t sure how to narrow the coordinates properly and make a boundary so that it wouldn’t collect all of Greenville County which is what it did when I tried out that option. :)

The first step is to create an iNaturalist “place.” Then you can make a project that is based on that “place.”

To make a place, go to https://www.inaturalist.org/places and hit the “add a new place” button. There are directions there for drawing a polygon. Make the boundaries generous, though, so that the polygon will include the “uncertainty bubble” around observations. You can always edit the “place” polygon and that will automatically change it in the project.

4 Likes

For the past three years I’ve made a goal of observing 10 new (to me) species and have exceeded that each time. I somehow managed to hit 100 new species in 2019 but doubt I’ll do as well in 2020 so instead I would like to aim for increasing the species lists in a few other places in South Korea.

For example, there is only a lone arachnid species observed in Gywangmyeong and Gwacheon, two species listed for Hwaseong, and none at all for Hanam and Bucheon. Osan apparently only has four species total recorded on iNaturalist.

My current identifications count is at 10,955 and I would also like to see that reach 12,000 by the end of the 2020. I would like to get better at non-Salticidae spider identifications but that’s going to take some work …

4 Likes

Thank so much for explaining how to add a new place. Even though you are in another state consider yourself a member of this project. When I can I’ll find some smilax on the property for you to ID, I will!

4 Likes

That’s what makes it fun!

1 Like

Yep! :grinning:

1 Like

Great!

2 Likes

What can I say, I’m a bit of a monomaniac :D

3 Likes

While I was at it, I also made a project for the amazing garden I saw in Iceland.
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/almost-arctic-akureyri-botanical-garden. It would be neat if iNat would make an umbrella project for gardens listed on the Morton Arboreta and another umbrella project for international botanical gardens.

1 Like

My informal goal is to make at least one observation every day this year. This is totally doable, but I tend to get busy when travelling for work and I’ve missed a lot of days in years past that I didn’t intend to miss. :neutral_face:

I would also really love to find a way to push my species county of my yard biodiversity project over 800 (currently 722 and has slowed significantly of recent).

edit: I just got number 723… my first tardigrade! https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/37442157

4 Likes