What is an observation?

The first thing that needs to be fixed / clarified in that is ‘location’ is a meaningless, or at best ambiguous term.

A provincial park is a ‘location’, any of the individual trails with that park is a ‘location’, an accurate to 6 decimal places GPS bearing is a ‘location’.

I suppose given you must add a precise pin to any location, the closest iNat match is the last one but then that is offset by the uncertainty buffer (ie is it appropriate or not to add a buffer under the guise that what was reported was within that circle? If that is appropriate then a record with photos of different individuals must be acceptable)

EDIT - of course if ‘organism’ is taken to mean a single individual entity, then ‘location’ must be the exact spot where that encounter took place.

Of course this then goes to absurd lengths:

• if i photograph a flock of 200 ducks, the record I submit is only ‘really’ about one of them
  • if I observe a single bird and it moves from one tree to another while I photograph, each photograph of it in a different tree needs to be a different record.
1 Like