What is your Favorite Lifer from this week?

This little wasp, probably Aucklandella sp.

8 Likes

I went on a trip to Portugal last week and got more than 100 lifers, my favorite in each kingdom:

Kingdom Plantae: Genaria diphylla (this was the main reason for my trip, orchids with small green flowers are my absolute favorite)

Kingdom Fungi: Teloschistes chrysophthalmus (it’s common but I have never seen one before and it looks so unique)

Kingdom Animalia: Upupa epops (exists just about everywhere but I never saw one before and looks super cool, he even made a wheel on his head a few times, but I was not able to capture)

13 Likes

:smiling_face: Birds Nest Fungi (I think)
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/198175333

Such tiny charmers! It’s been very rainy here, so I am really getting a kick out of the tiny, tiny mushrooms to be found if one gets down to look.

12 Likes

I didn’t observe it this week, but I just discovered it in my old photos from a trip to New Mexico, so it is a newly-posted “lifer” observation: Glover’s Silkmoth, which we don’t have in Eastern U.S.

Also from the same trip: Black-headed Grosbeak, which we do not have in the East

14 Likes

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I made several visits to a small tunnel on the edge of town over the summer and fall, photographing what I found on each trip. Back in September I took a picture of what I thought was another example of Macdunnoughia purissima - because yes, I am behind in uploading to iNat and am still going through photos from September - but which turned out to be a different species (and different subfamily), adding another moth to my life list. The newest addition is Clostera anachoreta, called the Scarce Chocolate-tip in English. A reminder that it pays to take pictures of things I think I’ve seen before, as they could turn out to be something new.

13 Likes

Congratulation on your moth @whaichi . My nightly moth-walk (sadly without a tunnel) has brought me a lifer moth as well: Abrostola triplasia - Dark Spectacle (I love the new feature that displays names in other languages)

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/198687606

10 Likes

Great photo, and I’m glad you were able to add this one to your life list!
Looks like we both spotted a Dark Spectacle on opposite sides of the Eurasian continent within a few months of one another. I’m guessing it wasn’t the same individual, though. :D

1 Like

I saw another one on Wednesday at Annan Botanic Gardens, it was too quick for even a blurry picture.

This is a February like none other I’ve ever lived through in Niagara, Canada. We hit 13c yesterday.

I mean, great if you’re itching to get in some observing, but definitely most troublesome.

My pick of the week for lifer? You know that old saying, ‘Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas’? Well snowfies like… flying snow, I would guess. But none of that to be found. But I did find a snowfly! Allocapnia vivipara. Shortwing Snowfly. I think this is a juvenile. First I’ve seen one, or even knew of them!

Observation: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/198592560

15 Likes

:smile: very droll!

1 Like

What is a snowfly? I know in English you like to put “fly” on different taxa (butterfly, dragonfly), but this one doesn’t even seem to have wings. Interesting creature!

I added the link to my observation and the sci-name: Allocapnia vivipara. It’s a kind of Stonefly. Oops. Sorry, it’s a member of the Capniidae family (Small Winter Stoneflies).

I couldn’t find much about Stoneflies. But this species does have wings (set the photo search to view the adult form only).

I presume the Stoneflies, being part of the Pterygota class, have wings, but I would guess that they’re no longer functional for flight.

1 Like

2 Likes

Found my first glow worms today whilst on a walk

16 Likes

“Thou aeronautical boll weevil, illuminate yon woods primeval”

Okay, not exactly taxonomically accurate, but how many pop hits even acknowledge arthropods?

1 Like

Do dancing bee-people in a music video count?

2 Likes

There’s a research on Non-insect Arthropods in Popular Music

There’s a Wikipedia on Insects in music

There’s a research on Sex Bugs and Rock’n’Roll

4 Likes

aaaaand now the song is stuck in my head. Thank you, I think! :laughing:

I have been busy with other things, not observing, and then I come home to this beautiful moth on a glass pane in my apartment building. I learned this Pale Brindled Beauty (Phigalia pilosaria) is observed mostly in February, the CVS identifies it perfectly and many users quickly added their ID, too.

I never heard of this moth before, that doesn’t mean much, but apparently this moth has only been observed on iNaturalist in Amsterdam once as an adult in 2011 and once in larval stage in 2019. In fact, this is only observation number 61 in the whole of the Netherlands. And the common Dutch name translates to Pear Branch (Perentak). It refers to the larva, which looks a bit like a branch.

12 Likes

New identification: Athalia proxima, which finally received an identification this week, three years after I posted the observation.

New observation: Risoba prominens, a species of Nolidae tufted moth that looks like it has a human face on its back.

10 Likes