What is your largest FULLY curated taxon on iNaturalist?

I’ve identified all 3255 observations from the clownfish subfamily Amphiprioninae.
I’ve also done all 1529 observations of giant clams, subfamily Tridacninae.

What’s your highest? The criteria here is that you have identified ALL observations in that taxon (not counting casual ones).

14 Likes

Euphorbia sect. Anisophyllum worldwide was pretty close to fully curated up until last year. I’ve had to cut back a lot recently. The number of observations is at 33,394 currently and I’ve reviewed 31,432 of those. I also was curating the Euphorbia (including sect. Anisophyllum) of the US which is at about 48.5 thousand currently.

16 Likes

I’ve done almost all Anolis carolinensis (>31k) with maybe a couple hundred outstanding due to a few taxonomic things, uncertainty, or locations being private.

There will always be more though!

5 Likes

Wow! You people are amazing! I’ve done all the photos of some less common plants (with people of course adding more as soon as I finish) and I’m working away at Phleum pratense, but I’m sure I’ve got no totals close to these.

4 Likes

I have reviewed 11883 out of 28,530 of the Terrapene observations. Carpel tunnel here I come…

12 Likes

It’s a large set of moths but I go through the Catocala moths to at least make sure the genus is at least correct, and all the lookalikes are removed. It often requires going through each species to make sure a European species isn’t listed from the U.S. and vice versa. C. ilia is often used as a blanket taxa by people unfamiliar with Catocala moths. Luckily the AI seems to be learning these better as time goes on.

For smaller groups, I have went through all the Urania spp. and made sure they were all correct. Same with the Cutina

8 Likes

I’ve reviewed all 16k of the eriophyid mite gall observations worldwide and done a similar number of cynipid wasps in the US outside CA.

7 Likes

Several times a day I go through recent Buteo sightings because there are many misidentifications and it’s my specialty.

6 Likes

Phalaenopsis, Paphiopedilum, and a few other orchid genera. I wish I had enough confidence and experience to curate birds but I’m not quite there yet lol

4 Likes

You are all incredible! I’m just in the corner over here giving you all a standing ovation.

6 Likes

3860 observations of Harris’s Hawk, nearly completed. Last updated one month ago

3 Likes

Birds of paradise, seriemas, mesites, and others

1 Like

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/5355-Parabuteo-unicinctus

Proteaceae of southern Africa:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?quality_grade=needs_id%2Ccasual%2Cresearch&taxon_id=64517

32,571 IDs out of 33,071: it never ends …

I also dabble in other Proteaceae, but I dont know most of the Australian and South American genera well enough to contribute meaningfully. But we have lots of postings worldwide of the horticultural cultivars of Leucospermum, Leucadendron & Protea, and with Leucospermum now into 4-way hybrid backcrosses it is usually impossible to ID these to cultivar, or even hybrid formulae, so they get stuck at genus level.

6 Likes

Ah, yes. I now have a paragraph in my “iNaturalist replies” document for fancy cultivated roses, explaining that these are hybrids with complex ancestry and don’t have scientific names.

5 Likes

I’ve done all 15,000+ banana slugs. I’ve also done all 28,000+ bivalves from Alaska through California and I’ll be moving on to other regions. I don’t have substantial enough literature to be IDing global bivalves to species, but I can add observations to our Living Bivalves project (and so can you!).

4 Likes

I am in the same boat as you, @lisa_bennett. The only taxon that I have curated is the humble Peppered Moth. I think this picture best captures your reaction, as well as mine, to how prolific members are in iNaturalist…
Original observation https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/63170217 by @heinerziegler.

1 Like

I assume you mean marine bivalves? Because I’ve had a California (freshwater) bivalve up for months that you haven’t done.

Anodonta is not a genus that can be reliably IDed to species from shell morphology. The genetic information is still being analyzed but it’s hard because almost all California populations have been extirpated. I generally only add IDs that improve the community taxon, so it depends on how you define “curated.” For me that’s reviewed and IDed where it helps.

1 Like

Thanks. Can the genetic information be analyzed from a shell?

1 Like