What's the worst pic you uploaded to iNat?

IMHO, your pic is not bad at all; it just needed to be cropped much closer to the subject! iNat’s CV and IDers would all benefit!

3 Likes

Ever since I’ve been getting into road iNatting, I’ve been taking more and more dodgy shots with just my phone or (if going to a particularily good place to iNat) with my camera. Some turn out surprisingly good, others show the ID marks alright, others are… not my greatest.

Here’s those observations: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&project_id=road-inatting&user_id=bitsnbirds&verifiable=any

I think this is my worst one. Granted I did take it out of a moving vehicle but with telephoto lens. As a birder, the only thing I can really do is make an educated guess. Sparrowhawk or maybe a kestrel.

5 Likes

welp… i think i have a new worst pic.

IMG_7192

thankfully i got a few better ones, but… wow.

5 Likes

The sky is wonderful :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
What is that bird? Did you get it ID’d (is that right🤔?)?

1 Like

House Wren… RG :grinning:

4 Likes

it’s an osprey, and yes it got to research grade! you can click on the photo to get taken to the observation itself if you want :)

3 Likes

New contender. And it got an almost immediate RG XD Bird IDers are WILD

5 Likes

I’m incredibly tempted to post this as an observation:

I mean, 50 pixels wide is enough, right? (Most likely Chroicocephalus ridibundus)

4 Likes

“Muskrat”

4 Likes

Awww. Here I thought that you were going to try and post that Mirage as a Blackbird! :laughing:

Anyway, I’ve got a new one of my own, from back in April:

Behold, the Common Green Darner!

4 Likes

Oh, yeah, those darners are hard to photograph!

1 Like

Go for it! There need to be more incindental airplane observations and it would be a great photo for Ignore the Elephant Seal.

1 Like

How about pictures taken from an airplane? 350 km accuracy circle since I’m not sure exactly where we were…

(And yes, this made it to RG without my being able to help much.)

14 Likes

This is it. Pack it up guys, we found the worst picture.

(Seriously this reaffirms my thoughts that birders are INSANE how does this hit RG)

6 Likes

Haha, I know, right? I could tell from their movement that they were birds and in the air flying but wasn’t expecting any species suggestions on this so when the first one came through, I was thinking that’s a bold guess, and then the second one made it RG and I just thought, well, this is nuts but if the birders are sure about this I’ll take it - new lifer for me! :smile:

3 Likes

Without looking at what the ID is, I want to guess Snow Geese. Was I right?

3 Likes

Thank you for joining the Club of Crazies, haha! Yes, that’s the suggestion.

1 Like

Yes! Still got it!

1 Like

If you could provide take off & landing airports, with an approximate time from/to either, I would spend some time on Google Earth Pro on this rainy day in Montana.

2 Likes

Believe it or not, I still have my boarding pass (complete with luggage tag) from that flight. :sweat_smile:

Getting an accurate time on the photo is more tricky. It says 12:18 PM but the time on my camera is notoriously off since I keep forgetting to check and adjust it. For example, I have no idea what time zone it might have been set to or if it was still on daylight savings or not.

2 Likes