When does an event end ? - Do observations recorded during the project period but submitted after the end show up in the totals

Hello

We are approaching the last few days of our Monsoon Beauty event. It ends midnight of the 5th (Indian Standard Time)

Some participants have been sending queries about whether they can continue to add observations beyond this time and if it will reflect in the final totals.

The questions I am unable to figure is Do observations recorded during the project period but submitted after the end show up in the totals? or does the event automatically stop recording such observations after the end of the project period.

Kindly advice and help

thanks

1 Like

Yes, as long as the observations fit the project rules (made during the right time period, made in the right place, etc.), then if they’re uploaded after the project period, they’ll still be added to the project.

4 Likes

Related feature request: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/add-date-added-range-as-a-requirement-option-to-collection-projects/18909

2 Likes

Thanks

Makes a bit of an issue if we want to lock in the results.

Will have to manually capture the data at the time of “official” closing

Thank you

1 Like

Yes, as someone who has to manually capture the results of 400+ City Nature Challenge projects at their “official” close, it would be excellent to be able to lock in results! :laughing:

3 Likes

oh gawd ! @kestrel Firstly that is awesome
Second-- please give us advise - it would be much appreciated.

A) I am thinking of capturing screen shots - we have only 101 participants so that should be easy. Our “targets” are pretty simple.

B), will download the data around 10 minutes before closing - and then a second attempt at the time of closing.

C) will post these results on a journal so that people know what it was like at the time of closing

Anything else that you advise.

thanks
ram

1 Like

A) Sounds like a good plan - we input all the “final” stats into a spreadsheet, but that’s because we have so many cities to go through in such a short time. With one project, yeah, just take a screenshot of the main page at the official closing time and you’ll have a capture of the final stats.

B) You should be able to download the data afterward by using the “date added” filter - so if you only want to capture the data that was in your project at the time of the official close, just filter by the observations that were ADDED (not observed) to the project by September 5. You should be able to do this at any point after your project has closed, even much later into the future, and it will still only pull the observations that were actually IN your project when it officially closed.

C) Yes, especially since your project is members only, by posting the results in your journal all your project members should be alerted & hopefully they’ll go check out the results!

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you

the advise on the date range is good :-)

warm regards
ram

1 Like

@kestrel Hi, am unable to find the date added filter when i try and export observations for this project

May i request your help please.

I am trying to download all the observations before 00:00 hours Indian Standard Time for the night of the 5th / 6th of Sept. 2021 (from 15th July 2021)

Thanks
Ram

Here’s the data with the date added filter: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?created_d1=2021-07-15&created_d2=2021-09-05&place_id=any&project_id=india-s-nature-monsoon-beauty&subview=map&verifiable=any

Use the dropdown “filters” tab and you can see where the “date added” filter is. This is also where the “download” button is.

1 Like

Hello @kestrel

Thank you very much , this is really cool and useful

Will make sure to understand and know how to do it myself the next time.

regards
ram

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.