You know you're seriously into iNat when

Or you don’t have to type anything at all, since it is your default homepage when opening Chrome, Edge, and even Explorer.

7 Likes

I did enter photos of a mosquito I slapped off my arm. Sadly, no one has confirmed my ID of Asian Tiger Mosquito. :grinning:

8 Likes

when
… you get a photo of something completely new the addiction of trying to get it ided, just to add a new species to your list.
…you walk around outside in weird crazy circles that look completely mad to anyone else.
… when you keep refreshing to see if there is anything going on.

7 Likes

THIS IS SO ME

5 Likes

I feel it’s better to stay home when it’s -30C, but then I remember about friends from Siberia who have -50C there.

7 Likes

Welcome to the iNat forum @melodi_96!

3 Likes

One of my favorite articles about iNat ever: https://www.datingadvice.com/for-men/nature-lovers-share-their-passion-on-inaturalist
:joy:

7 Likes

I know I’m a month late catching up on this thread, but the wedding blitz begs for a link to the relevant Bird and Moon comic!

9 Likes

My only observation of Cicindela sexguttata came from bug hunting at the zoo.

4 Likes

…when you know each state’s state flower, bird, and insect but you can never remember the state capitals.

12 Likes

…you chastise your neighbor for not fetching you when he casually mentions he saw a gorgeous slug in his yard the other day…and you make him PROMISE to call you next time.

10 Likes

…when you tell everyone you know that the yellow goo hanging from your front yard planter is “Dog Vomit Slime Mold” and are disappointed when they don’t get as excited as you.

10 Likes

made this observation during our wedding reception…
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/768382

5 Likes

While watching TV shows and movies, you identify plants and animals in the background. You also notice errors like species in the wrong place, e.g., the movie is set in Japan and there is a Barred Owl calling in the background.

10 Likes

Happy Anniversary!

A million times yes! I didn’t include it here because that far pre-dated my iNatting days but I guess now I also think about the top identifier and if they could help parse species in a genus :)

2 Likes

You show your mother a photo on your phone of a really pretty butterfly, then freeze as she swipes a finger to look at the next photo.

Next photo is of a turd.

And she looks at you, the child she helped support through college, the child she raised into adulthood, and all you can say is ‘it could be from an owl’.

(I’d like to say this is exactly what happened, but i think it was just a cockroach or some weird fungi, but you get the idea)

11 Likes

… you want to get close to to the skunk to get a better look. Your husband pulls you back with an effort…

6 Likes

Well, she deserved it. Doesn’t she know it’s rude to scroll through photos on someone else’s phone? :)

2 Likes

I think it’s just this Grandma habit- if one of her pals hands her their phone to show a pic of their grandkid, chances are there’s tons of them.

Meanwhile, I’m the one with no kids, so I have time to take photos of the things that really matter: turds, weird bugs, and spiders.

Which is why the niece and nephew pretty much know to get me when there’s some weird bug on a wall.

9 Likes