You know you're seriously into iNat when

I saw a bunch of gulls circling one of those once and wanted to get closer, but my mom didn’t want to go past the “All visitors must sign in” sign on the gate. I didn’t even mind the stink, but had to get photos from farther away - they were fairly terrible since I was using a camera with only 4x zoom.

3 Likes

They do tend to attract cool gulls. We found shorebirds. We did have to go through a guard’s gate. The guard told us not to exit our vehicle after dusk because of potential for fatal encounters with feral hogs. We stayed in the car.

4 Likes

I did that the other night, except it was like 3 hours after my bedtime.

3 Likes

. . . you come away from a used book store’s closing sale with An Illustrated Guide to Common Weeds of New Zealand, Seashore Life of Australia, and an Identification Guide to the Lemurs of Madagascar, although you live in Oregon, U.S.A., and don’t travel much.

30 Likes

Yes definitely. Once got addicted to INat,u wont stop observing and u will make all the difficult trick to take a pic. (insects especially)

1 Like

… when u plan a place suitable for u while going on a family outing
… when your friends have no idea where to visit during that time of the day

1 Like

… when you are waiting for ur turn at the doctor’s clinic and there is a beautiful garden outside. U start INatting until ur name is shouted out

… when you find something that u have never IDed

3 Likes

I am jealous of your new books!

5 Likes

You start to take it personally when correcting the same misidentification for what feels like the hundredth time.

You have to restrain yourself from starting a flame war on someone else’s observation.

4 Likes

You are delighted when correcting the same misidentification for what feels like the hundredth time, because you know those make great data points for the ‘similar species’ tab.

16 Likes

… you go and check one of the guides and it says that one of the specie is found near your area and u go searching for it

4 Likes

One of my bucket list goals is to operate a used bookstore that sells exclusively this kind of literature.

7 Likes

KATYDID YOU GO ON INAT AGAIN (my name’s not katy)

1 Like

when you’re playing a video game and happen to turn the camera in a way that lets you see the leaves of a tree you weren’t even paying attention to, and you reconize it as a white oak, and your first thought is, “Oh! I should take a picture!” before remembering you’re playing a video game.

13 Likes

I always feel like I need to photograph every animal in Breath of the Wild. :grinning:

9 Likes

I’d love to play an ego shooter where the camera is your weapon and your ‘kills’ are iNat obs. :-)

4 Likes

In one of the Tomb Raider games, there are velociraptors and a T. rex.

Now those would be some iNat observations!

8 Likes

I’m actually really tempted to write a fantasy book that’s…literally just iNaturalist, but for fantasy animals. Following the protagonist as they observe the life around them and learn more!

5 Likes

Hey, do it for real species, not fantasy ones! I can see the protagonist walking out of their house on an ordinary day, and all of a sudden their mind is completely blown because an American Redstart (a beautiful North American warbler, if you don’t know) flies out in front of them, snatches a bug out of the air, and then sits on a nearby twig to eat it - and the person has never seen a redstart before. Or even noticed any bird besides pigeons and starlings. Etc., etc.

5 Likes

Then it becomes like a reality-based Alice in Wonderland as down the iNat rabbit hole they go :)

2 Likes