Your top 10 most identfied

Pretty consistent. Mostly easily identified plants. The top two species are the same in November 2022 and March 2024. Only 3 species have dropped out of the top 15 (and thus, 3 species added). The only animal in the top 15 is Mallard. Carex obnupta, a favorite, has slipped from #9 to #11 – I’d better get to work on that one.

8 Likes

neat tool
Makes sense since I stick to identifying plants and mainly focus in Florida, most are common easily identifiable plants, and a few are from cleaning up observations or identifying to subspecies
I am currently top id’er for muscadine on the leaderboard but I don’t think I deserve it, but that’s how the leaderboard sytems works on inat

5 Likes

I did top 15 since these tend to shuffle around based on which ones I have done a big batch of recently. I usually only ID organisms that live where I observe. I will also ID those species outside my area unless there is a look-a-like in the area that I haven’t learned to distinguish.

I focus mostly on plants because I feel like there are plenty of people tackling animals and I’m not very confident on a lot of my fungi IDs. When I do work on animals, it’s usually rabbits, galls, and bird song. These are my top 5 animals:

5 Likes

Checking back up on this! My top identified taxa are still herps, which isn’t a surprise to me. My number one most identified hasn’t changed (I think?), it’s still Atocion. However Achillea at six is pretty surprising, they likely came from the Northeast ID-a-thon from the other week.

Outside of herps a lot of my identifications go towards common species like herring gulls, mallards, or Queen Anne’s lace.

6 Likes

Thanks @ajott, this was fun to see!

2 Likes

For me, it’s a pretty even mix of the most commonly uploaded East Asian and American dragonflies. First non-odonata is Cicindela sexguttata at #33, first non-arthropod is Great Blue Heron at #79.

7 Likes

My first non-ode for ID is Mule Deer, mostly because of all of the people who hit big wildlife-watching spots and ignore anything smaller than a fox, unless it’s a butterfly. The first non-ode for observations is the Red-winged Blackbird at 26. I need to get some more herons on my list!

5 Likes

Decided to revisit this! Been a long time since I checked my top identified.

Not much has changed, oddly enough. It definitely doesn’t feel like I’ve identified that many hawkfish, it went by like a flash! The taxa after this get a little more interesting but still mostly fish and birds, with the first species that isn’t either one being the Sidewinder at #93.

7 Likes

The taxon photos changed quite a bit though!

Northern cardinals are very common in the Northeastern U.S.
Also beautiful, so for both reasons they are in my top ten list.

My most identified are a collection of the local species most likely to be photographed by users new to iNaturalist or visitors to Korea. A spider in first place matches my own interests, with the first insect (Polygonia c-aureum) coming in at 13th.

Edit: Oh, yeah, and an anomalous frog in 10th.

6 Likes

Despite my love of arthropods, they can be… difficult. I simply don’t have the expertise to be able to ID huge quantities of them. So I’m mostly a local lizard identifier:

7/10 are exotic! Because Florida.

7 Likes

Florida do be like that sometimes.

2 Likes

When I first joined iNaturalist I generally started identifying birds often. Now you can see by my profile that, that has changed a bit. A do have the White Tern at No. 12 and various herons below. Mostly because I identify tracks & signs though.

5 Likes

For my identifications I have mostly bivalves with the occasional bird from when I used to identify those. On average it looks like I have 12 identifications per species, which is a little lower than I expected.

My observations are very different from this with them being mostly birds. I used to birdwatch a lot a few years ago.

7 Likes

Well, you would have problems seeing the connection between my IDs and my observations as well… almost interestingly few spiders in my top ranks of observations and then mostly not the ones I ID a lot .

6 Likes

Guess what my favorite genus is?

3 Likes

Big-butt spiders?

1 Like

Basically lol!

1 Like

I usually identify observations left at “unknown”, though recently I have developed an interest in lichen and started to identify the 3 lichens I know how to. :)

Also, last summer I had a spontaneous interest in Harmonia axyridis. I guess this shows that pretty clearly. :D

7 Likes