A certified Naturalist?

Some states’ Master Naturalist programs are meant to give residents a core set of knowledge to prepare them to volunteer in conservation efforts.

For example, “the Texas Master Naturalist Program’s mission is to develop a corps of well-informed volunteers to provide education, outreach, and service dedicated to the beneficial management of natural resources and natural areas within their communities for the State of Texas. Many communities and organizations rely on such citizen volunteers for implementing youth education programs; for operating parks, nature centers, and natural areas; and for providing leadership in local natural resource conservation efforts. In fact, a short supply of dedicated and well-informed volunteers is often cited as a limiting factor for community-based conservation efforts.” https://txmn.tamu.edu/. To continue to be a Certified MN in Texas you have to volunteer at least 40 hours a year and continue taking training classes each year. (I have no idea what any “certified naturalist” programs are like in your area).

I do agree that doing the TMN training classes will not make someone an expert but it can be a good way to get a general foundation for further learning and volunteering in various conservation efforts.

I echo the other comments about reaching out to local community colleges or local conservation groups (e.g. Audubon society, State Parks, Fish & Wildlife, Botanical Gardens) as they tend to offer many training opportunities (free & paid) and with COVID many of the trainings are now available via webinar so you have access to many more learning opportunities.

13 Likes