A simple way to save iNat money? Cropping / Compiling images

I agree about cropping as a courtesy, and also as a convenience on my end as the photo-uploader: For any one organism I might have taken multiple redundant pictures (often a dozen), and I have to pick at most a few of them. So instead of trying to keep track of which photo-numbers I have to select to upload, I crop the first picture I want to keep, then the second if any, etc. (Or rotate, then un-rotate if there are enough relevant details in the periphery to discourage cropping.) Then when I go to select photos to upload, I order the image files by ā€œdate modifiedā€ so that the ones at the bottom of the list (the recent ones) are the ones I want to use, so I can easily pick them (instead of having to scroll through thousands of files to find them).

1 Like

where @tiwane said
it would be fairly low priority as thereā€™s plenty of free software available for basic image editing on computers

Right, Iā€™m just clarifying that if they decide not to move forward with it, the request will be closed. As of yet that decision apparently hasnā€™t been made.

2 Likes

My only input is that I have used several platforms and finally focuses all my submissions to iNaturalist simply because it is convenient, easy to use, and not overly time consuming. Iā€™ve had approx 6500 observations in 3 years, and it would be less than 1000, or Iā€™d have stopped altogether, if my time on the computer was greater than my time outside.

2 Likes

ā€œCompilationā€ photos would probably make it more difficult to train and use computer vision, so Iā€™d recommend actually not making those.

Personally I tend to crop my photos as well as I can (while still making them aesthetically pleasing to my eye) then export them from Capture One with the longest edge being 2048 pixels (if the photo is larger than that).

6 Likes

Iā€™m pretty picky with selecting and cropping photos as well. At least, in recent years. My early observations werenā€™t always cropped, but I also didnā€™t tend to attach more than 1 photo in those days.

1 Like

Needs more thought

I thought I had read that computer vision only used the first photo of an upload. Is this true? If thatā€™s the case, I donā€™t see a problem as long as its not the main photo.

The order of the photo doesnā€™t matter - they pick randomly among the photos when they train the model.

When you use computer vision though, itā€™s only analyzing the first image.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. I will steer away from making compilation shots in the future.
Being able to tag photos as ā€˜opt out of computer visionā€™ would fix that.
I had made a feature request for functionality similar to that to deal with uploads with multiple organisms in a pic, or multiple pics of multiple species, but it was denied because I was told they have plans to implement something similar to what I had requested. I can see why you wouldnā€™t want to let people opt out of training the vision though, but as long as the power wasnā€™t abused it would be useful.

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you will continue to contribute - lots of interesting topics!

1 Like

YES! Iā€™ve learned how much better an image is created when I crop/sharpen imagesā€¦Also, makes ID easier if folks can SEE the critter/plant/fish, etc.

2 Likes

But thereā€™s a cropping feature in ā€˜editā€™ mode

1 Like

on the website? I canā€™t find it, where on the edit page is it?

1 Like

I can confirm itā€™s on the mobile app - thereā€™s a pencil :pencil2: icon to the left of your observation photo after you enlarge it.
Not explored it on the website yet.

1 Like

then pointing out that there is a cropping feature on the (web) upload page is ā€¦

never mind, Iā€™m just having one of those daysā€¦

3 Likes

Pretty sure that cropping photos is not available on the iPhone app, and I cannot see such on the website (which I access using an iPad).

It would actually be quite interesting to see the different features and utilities available in the different versions of iNat (web, android, iPhone, other) displayed as a dot chart.

3 Likes

True, but to get there you have to upload all the images first and then go through them one by one.

Hello,
I just read your comments on the place taken by the photos and I agree with that!
I am new to this site and I would like to know how we can do to upload two photos on the same subject (when necessary). For a beetle, I did it but it gave me two different subjects.
I inform you that I have very little computer knowledge and that I have to go through Google translation for each exchange ā€¦ I am French, Parisian moreover.
Thank you for your help,
Gego

On the website?
If you have 2 pictures uploaded, then you can click Combine all