Ability to click on top identifiers

Welcome to the forum, @aggie_wildlifer!

This sounds like you’d like to make a formal feature request. We can leave this here and see what happens in discussion but then, if you want something actionable, I’d suggest checking here for more info:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/about-the-feature-requests-category-please-read-before-posting/69

I think the consensus is that provided you don’t tag experts in every single time you make an observation it’s fine to call out for help here and there. Generally, you’ll find that many top IDers are already following different related taxa and you providing as refined an ID as possible on your observations will usually attract IDers as is.

Keep in mind everyone isn’t the same in their iNat use and there are some prolific IDers who do a huge service here but do not wish (or have the time) to interact with folks much or respond to @mentions and comments. Others will relish the opportunity to teach and respond. It can be variable by taxa or by personality.

Personally, I think the tagging system in place works well as it is and I wouldn’t want to completely overload the generous IDers. I think a compromise could be an opt-in system where folks could opt to be auto-tagged or whatever it would be called.

Hope that’s useful.

9 Likes