Agreeing with experts and "research grade"

If I can’t independently verify an ID with 80 percent certainty then I leave it alone. If an expert in a field I’m unfamiliar with disagrees I will almost always withdraw my initial ID (if theirs seems plausible) to bring the community ID closer to theirs so it can go to the attention of others who are familiar with it for them to agree or disagree.

I don’t like the idea of others simply agreeing to bring my observations to research grade if they are only doing so because an expert posted an ID with no explaining information. I learn a lot from my personal interactions with my observations and I would like them to be of the near same assurance quality that I hold myself to when confirming IDs. As such I almost always respond to disagreements. If I don’t know or I’m not sure, I ask.

I also think if your going to work to place yourself on the leaderboard for something, you should have relatively decent knowledge about how to identify it. I spend a lot of time working with one family and am high up on the leaderboard for the majority of it’s descendants. I always make sure to follow any disagreements I make so I can answer questions and typically try to clearly explain why I am disagreeing. Even if people were going to blindly agree regardless, I hope at least they took the time to read what I had to say - even if they weren’t going to make the effort to search for it themselves. I have no problem spoon feeding the same information over and over if helps at least a few people learn.

I’m here to gain and share knowledge and appreciate everyone who’s put in the work and time to learn what they know, and really appreciative of your time spent here freely exchanging that knowledge.

11 Likes