Allow users to record absence data

There is a big difference between one’s own judgement and one’s own preferences. In reality, people in life generally probably always do vote according to the latter, but that may be one of the major drawbacks of a democracy? Judgement includes considerations of the effect on others. Preferences do not.

yeah, i think you are pushing a niche use (putting absence data on range maps) that will confuse the majority of users while providing very limited value that you could attain with filters anyway. Also, this isn’t a democracy.

yes. they are very different.

i’m not saying what you’re suggesting couldn’t be done, and i’m not arguing against potentially having a way to capture absence. i’m saying that what you’re suggesting with the 0 count probably not the right path to take to get to that goal. i think you’re trying to say that it’s a quick change to do it your way, but i see it as just formalizing a hack, which usually turns out to be more trouble over the long run because you’re going to redo it all over time.

here’s an analogy. if I have nail that i wanted to hammer and i didn’t have a hammer, i could probably take shovel and use it to hammer in a nail. i could probably even modify that shovel to work as a better hammer, which i think is similar to what you’re asking to be done. if you really have a lot of nails to hammer though, you probably shouldn’t waste your time modifying the shovel. probably the right thing to do is to go get a hammer.

1 Like

Hi folks. I’ve temporarily closed this topic. It will reopen in 9 hours.

2 Likes

I’m going to close this topic as the trips feature already exists and is a way for users to record that they looked for a taxon in an area.

4 Likes