Amount of "Unknown" records is decreasing

I would not jump to that conclusion.

One, iNaturalist is about connection with nature, and a person doesn’t necessarily need to know a name to feel connection do they?

Two, It also depends on how one is introduced to the app. Very briefly, I was shown the iPhone app and told it’s for recording any wildlife you see. I was not aware that things particularly got identified or how important that aspect is to some users. The iPhone app video tutorial* does not mention much about IDs other than how to use the computer vision.

LOL… When I first started, I was, I recall, annoyed when perfect strangers kept insisting my lady beetle was something else (that it looked nothing like to me) and kept changing my ID. …DA NOIVE!

*https://vimeo.com/162581545
Remember, this is the only training offered for iPhone users. The video flashes a quick URL for more help, but it is not clickable and it goes by too fast to write down. There is no link from the app to the Help or FAQs page, although I opened a Feature Request. Feel free to vote for it if you think some new users benefit by better Help resources. :blush:

8 Likes