Animals (not insects) feeding on citrus

One thing that took some getting used to in the Dominican Republic: the lemons are sweet and the oranges are sour.

1 Like

Thanks for the info regarding some citrus-related genera.
For ā€œCitrusā€ I originally meant species producing an hesperidium as a fruit.

Arenā€™t coumarins a thinning agent used in perfumes? That should present as a toxic anti-haemocoagullant then for humans, no?

Which part of citrus fruit contains coumarins? People have been eating marmalade for breakfast every day ā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve not much clue what problems it cause on humans. Coumarins are present in some species of cinnamon plants. Warfarin is a coumarin. It is a prescribed drug used to treat certain human conditions. Some drugs often carries a note not to take together with grapefruit, but it is due to another reason. so it is complex. I think citrus fruits are generally safe. I mean we eat citrus fruits quite often.

3 Likes

Of course it had to have some arcane name, and canā€™t just be referred to as a citron or something obvious to laypersons. I suppose we should be glad that the fruit produced by apples is called a pome, reflecting its common name in an actual living language (pomme, in French), instead of a pyrinifer or something.

Here itā€™s called an apple, so e.g. fruit of rowan is an apple. And second name for hesperidium is pomeranets (also a name for Citrus aurantium), easier that way than learning latin.

1 Like

could hesperidium be applied to the fruit of other plants? for example, mangosteen seems to have a fruit that seems superficially similar in structure to citrus fruits, although i have no idea how to classify the mangosteen fruit exactly as a botanist would.

Garcinia species are evergreen trees and shrubs, dioecious and in several cases apomictic. The fruit is a berry with fleshy endocarp,[4] which in several species is delicious.

right, but isnā€™t a hesperidium also a berry where the endocarp is the part you eat and the outer layer is a thick rind? so doesnā€™t that describe a mangosteen fruit, too?

or is there some other defining characteristic of hesperidium? or does hesperidium refer only to the fruit of particular members of Rutaceae?

An Hesperidium has the flesh divided into some locules which, in turn, are divided into many juice sacs

Maybe a bit more specific than the original question, but are there any animals that eat a Pomelo (Citrus maxima), where the bulk is mostly bitter rind and small center?

Mainly insect pests, and citrus mites. There may be fruit-boring beetles and fruit fly. Pomelos are not very palatable when the fruit has not ripen. It is not known if monkeys are attracted to it. Monkeys often raid orchards. Squirrels may eat fruits. Fruit bats can damage some fruits of other species. It is not known to me if they like pomelos. Civets. There are some newer varieties in cultivation with sweeter juice, and thinner rind. Elephants, if these big animals live in a nature reserve near pomelo farms.

1 Like

I have no idea, just saw the mention of coumarins in citrus in one of the above posts

I always thought coumarins are restricted to certain members of Thymelaceae such as Lasiosyphon

Iā€™ve read that the ethnic Xhosa people in our country have figured out how to use coumarin-containing plants medicinally
The trick lies in decocting a crushed infusion of flowers and simmering water many times over until the base reduction is as gooey and conform as possible, then making a tincture with only enough liquid to cover 3/4ths of a human thumb nail. If the dosage is just marginally higher than this, serious intoxication can occur, and sometimes, even death

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.