Any tips/recipes for eating acorns?

Ooh, I’ll definitely have to try out that bread recipe!

Unfortunately I only have the ability to shapeshift when I’m lucid dreaming, and I’ve never turned into a squirrel, lol.

I’ve seen a few people say they roast them with oil and salt after leeching them, I’m going to try it once I get some more cracked :)

Re leaching:
If you will be baking, cold leaching works way better because hot leaching cooks the starches, so you need extra binders. For baking, do cold leaching.

1 Like

hmmm…something’s just occred to me…I wonder what fried foods battered with acorn flour would taste like?

I suspect there is quite a learning curve to using acorns for food, based on my taste tests of acorn soup and meal prepared by various knowledgeable, but inexperienced cooks. One tip, don’t try to stone grind it. Besides the significant energy expenditure, that produces acorn meal with lots of grit and sand (bad for the teeth).

I believe it could be really good, but I suspect there is a knack to it that’s hard to pick up from Book learning.

1 Like

I love nuts. I used to be the annoying housemate who ate peanut butter with a spoon. I haven’t had so much as a peanut butter cookie in a long time. I can eat small servings of pistachios and walnuts occasionally, preferably with something high in calcium, but no peanuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, etc. It makes me sad. If I can find a way to add another one to my list I’m willing to give it a try.

1 Like

NAEB search of ethnobotanical uses for acorns, some are vague but some have very detailed descriptions. North American Ethnobotany Database is a nice resource for finding some historical uses for plants, but use cautiously. Here’s a dangerous example I found of what I can only assume is trolling? Definitely don’t ever try that one!

1 Like

pigs love them as well!

this is one of the reasons, true jamon Iberico rules… acorn rationed hogs :]

That’s what I’m doing, I have a big glass jar my twin ordered for pickling anyways. This way’s easier for me since all I have to do is change the water once a day isntead of standing around boiling water.

I like feeding hogs in a zoo with acorns from trees leaving nearby, it’s a real treat for them.

4 Likes

https://app.livestorm.co/compatibility?compatibility=false&src=registration&url=https%3A%2F%2Fapp.livestorm.co%2Fu-s-botanic-garden%2Fcooking-with-foraged-acorns-with-alexis-nikole-nelson-online-cooking-demo%3Ftype%3Ddetailed%26fbclid%3DIwAR236J2wWSuM1wCDWCysrAjip9G4Dj50pQA8K8XJSNjJigCIqQhlZZmSOWQ
event

Cooking with Foraged Acorns with Alexis Nikole Nelson (Online Cooking Demo)

2 Likes

As a note after letting the acorns dry for three months so they’re easier to crack open and remove without the skin, surprisingly, the smaller acorns are overall higher quality (less damage / black spots) than the larger ones!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.