Are trees/bushes in ancient hedgerow "cultivated"?

If pictures on the web are well representing the true “cornish hedges” it seems that these structures are full of wild species but, as already written, you should decide case by case

2 Likes

From a scientific perspective, there is little difference between a tree planted this year, and one planted 300 years ago. Even the offspring of that 300 year old tree, if they’re limited to the same hedgerow, are still cultivated.

For example, I’ve worked with species that are Endangered, but also planted horticulturally. Projects to study and conserve the natural genetic diversity of these species make a clear distinction between native and planted stock. If there’s any suspicion that the origin of a particular stand is human planting, then we exclude it as a potential source for restoration. It doesn’t matter if it’s 200 years old, or three generations past, if the stock was imported from 100s of kilometers away it doesn’t represent our local diversity.

Another issue is biogeographic work. I study the genetic diversity and relationships among populations. In most cases, populations that are geographically close to each other will be genetically similar. It would be remarkable to find a population that was really different from its nearby neighbours. You’d want to know if that population was planted from material collected some distance away before you got involved trying to find a natural explanation.

There are still grey areas, and I understand that scientists may not be your primary audience. But there is reason to be a bit conservative in deciding when something has moved from cultivated to wild status.

As for the Cornish hedgerows in question, it sounds like they were never actually planted at all. In that case, I’d agree anything growing on them is indeed wild. Same as plants colonizing abandoned pasture are.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.