At what point does an anthropogenic introduction become wild?

I think this discussion has been had before on iNat. Here’s a recent one that’s related:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/options-for-the-best-way-to-handle-non-established-obs-e-g-escaped-released-pets/16684

I think the wild/cultivated flag should be marked based only on the observed organism. A wild plant would be one that was there without direct human intervention.

Yes, I would agree in calling the new plant wild (with the caveat that the seed landed on ground not tended by people). This provides important info about the relationship between that species and the environment: There are suitable pollinators around, there are vectors that can carry the seed, the conditions are suitable for germination and growth, the conditions are suitable for the new plant to flower and fruit (if applicable).

I would also agree: The only reason the plant is in the new location is because you put it there. It’s sort of silly if you moved it from backyard to front, but move it much further and it’s clear why it’s not an accurate description of where a wild plant would grow.

2 Likes