Best flowers to attract bees

you know I had once made a self watering system of plants by using water bottle and thread and now this system attaracts 50-60 honey bees/

now it helps to pollinate my ridge gourd

3 Likes

Could you explain how this works, please? Thanks!

See, one end of a thread that you can see is dipped in the water while another end of the thread is in the soil near to the plant roots and the rest of the part is covered with mud to avoid evaporation. Bottle itself is also in the soil with only the mouth of bottle facing outside the soil. This is done to make water cool. And it’s just a coincidence that it attaracted so many bees. Water is transported by capillary action .

6 Likes

I was just about to ask the same thing!

I saw a documentary on an efficient water use project in Africa. It featured a similar sort of low tech drip system using old plastic milk bottles and cords. It’s a very clever inexpensive way to deliver water exactly to the plants and not expend too much water irrigating the surrounding area. And, it doesn’t require expensive piping or water hook-up.

Thank you for showing us your set up.

2 Likes

Nice setup! When using for watering, how long does it take before your jar (is it about 1/2 liter?) needs refilling? I’m going to have a few new plants this year that could benefit from a version of this in the hot weather…

I fill this jar every day , and it is 250 ml .
I will suggest you a much bigger jar with more broader cotton ropes

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice! After I make something that works in my garden, I hope I can report back here.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.