Biases in iNat data

The bias of regional organizations also influences the iNat data. I live in Ontario and the provincial entomological society was an early proponent of using iNat to collect Lepidoptera observations. Ontario now has 67% of the Lepidoptera observations in the country, but only 39% of the national population. I don’t believe that there are more bugs per person in Ontario, but there appear to be more keen citizen scientists on this platform in the province.

Having said that, #3 is still an issue as the Monarch is the most observed species in the province, with almost as many observations as the second and third most popular leps combined (which happens to be moths). I’m not sure about #8 for this taxa as so many observers travel to natural areas for better habitat. Underrepresentation is often related to accessibility due to the the size of the province/country, as noted by @cmcheatle in the other thread:
Not an unbiased dataset:

Of course it is geographically biased. Even here in ‘First World’ Canada my home province is a million square kilometers with large sections a blank canvas on iNat, due to them being unreachable without a float plane, helicopter or weeks long canoe expedition.

6 Likes