Bryophyte identification

Actually the grass where I saw moss was in a sunny area. I wondered if the grass was providing the shade for the moss, yet it didn’t as the moss continued to grow and fill in where I removed the grass. Sorry so late, I thought I replied to this. I mostly use SEEK and only check iNaturalist when I receive something in the mail.

1 Like

I agree, yet some HOAs require glass lawns. When one of my daughters and her family visited, she asked me if I’m allowed to have moss lawns? Our HOA is voluntary and since a park surrounds the neighborhood, some homes already have moss lawns without any effort. They are the lucky ones!

2 Likes

Hmm, mind telling me how one is expected to have a glass lawn? HOAs are crazier than I thought! :grin:

2 Likes

I’m glad this thread came up! I’ve recently started looking at mosses in my backyard with a microscope but just sort of guessing at what features are key to identifying species. I have two field guides (Common Mosses of the Northeast and Appalachians by McKnight et al., and Mosses, Liverworts, and Hornworts by Ralph Pope), which are sometimes helpful but I’ve already learned nowhere near listing all possible species so I’m never sure if I’ve arrived at the correct ID or just an approximation. If some of the more seasoned bryologists could provide some pointers what features to look for and document under the microscope for iNat, I would appreciate it! From what I’ve been able to gather so far, leaf structure and reproductive structures including sometimes spore size may be important.

1 Like

I’m a little late on the reply here and didn’t realize my typo until I read it just now! :joy: I can see it now, glass houses on thick glass lawns- “Stone free zone!”

4 Likes

The sad part is, I didn’t think it was that unusual. In California, some people opt for Astroturf lawns – they don’t need watering, mowing, or weeding. In Calistoga, I saw an entire park covered with Astroturf instead of grass. It made me sad. :slightly_frowning_face:

5 Likes

Ok, for those who wanted information on growing moss lawns, here are the 2 articles I wrote:
https://content.yardmap.org/learn/growing-a-moss-lawn/
and
https://content.yardmap.org/learn/benefits-ecology-moss-lawn/
The picture of the “green roof home” was one I made to look like a gnome home to cover the end of the black hose thing that ran from the downspout, under our paver walkway and into the front yard. I also had 2 fairy homes made of fallen “forest confetti” in the trees.
Unfortunately, we never got around to writing the 3rd article. Most of the pictures are mine and I had a Cornell Univ. person to help write the technical stuff, plus the 4 editors made me look good! ;)

If you want to read an older article from 2009, about how my youngest daughter and I raised Luna moths, go peek over at “What’s That Bug?” at https://www.whatsthatbug.com/2009/01/25/luna-moth-metamorphosis-raised-in-captivity/
I knew I was a “kook” and appreciated the confirmation from “What’s that bug?” folks! ;)
My apologies if this was the wrong place to put it, yet I didn’t know where to place it without PMing anyone who asked. Cathy

5 Likes

check the keys — they describe the plant with features necessary for identification

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.