Bulk Selection of Observations to Add to a Project

I don’t know if it encapsulates everything, but there’s this thread.

I disagree, because self obscured things, the user is the one who chooses who can see it. I’m not sure adding people to a trusted list or whatever should reveal auto obscured things. It’s a huge loophole because let’s face it, can’t a poacher just make friends with someone and convince them to add to a ‘trust’ list? I think very few things should be auto obscured - only things with a collection or poaching or harassment list - but when they are obscured, they need to be obscurd to pretty much everyone. I understand it makes sense to let a few conservation organizations access the data but even that… has its issues. I don’t know the answer because i can see both sides of this, it really does break projects when all obscured things get bumped out, but creating loopholes to geoprivacy defeats the point entirely. I know this keep sverring off topic but in a way it isn’t. People only care about this because of the obscured observations. Maybe the actual answer is we shouldn’t be obscuring species that the local community and conservation program doesn’t think should be obscured, though that is dangerous because some conservation groups turn that around and ask to obscure everything to everyone except themselves. or at least the obscuring needs to work a little better, though i don’t know how that would be.

2 Likes