Can other users view my Obscured and Private Coordinates

what exactly did the message say? was it a message from another user? or did it come from iNaturalist? or did it come from your country network?

in Australia, your observations that have been obscured due to taxon privacy (as opposed to you explicitly setting the geoprivacy) can have their true coordinates viewed by country officials. see https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/inaturalist-australia-vs-inaturalist/6909/15.

besides this, the situations where you have explicitly granted others permission to view your true coordinates, and situations where folks get access to your account or device (or are looking over your shoulder), the last time i checked, it still was possible in almost every case for anyone to discover the true locations of your obscured observations – although most people would not be able to do this in most cases. i won’t describe the situation in more detail, but if you have true locations that you need to be 100% protected, the only way to do that is to refrain from posting those observations in the first place.

1 Like