Changing ID based on lack of evidence

No prob! I upload some of such too, e.g. jay, I’ve seen itss flight, I heard it, but mobile photo is meh, its still at needs id and I hope just stay there as it’s shown on map that way.

1 Like

I would even argue there are cases where ‘the evidence’ supporting an identiication does not have to be in the record.

This bird has multiple essentially identical looking ‘partners’, there are field marks to separate them, but they are best done in hand in a banding or similar situation. But they are easily separated by voice.

This was the first ever visit of this species to Canada, hundreds, if not thousands of birders from Canada and the northern US went to see it during the 2 months it stayed. Many heard it call, I don’t know if any captured a sonogram.

The identity of the bird is without question, yet under the standard of the observation must contain irrefutable evidence of the identity, every record here needs to be removed from RG and voted back to family since no sonogram is attached.

Likewise this, there are hundreds of contemporaneous reports on eBird and elsewhere there is a Brown Booby at this location. Few people are getting great pics as the platform is about 1.5 km out on the lake, but the identity of the bird is certain.

6 Likes

Sock puppets are possible, but on iNaturalist this is more likely to be three middle school kids who are friends, sharing their ignorance.

7 Likes

Any user can quickly take it out of their pool by marking it as reviewed (or in Identify, pressing the R keyboard shortcut). But for a single user (other than the observer) to decide on behalf of the whole community to remove it from the pool would be contrary to the iNaturalist model. Of course, if there is truly “no evidence of organism,” that can be voted on by the community too.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t suggest you mark your hare photo as “no evidence”, but you might want to add an image cropped to zoom in on the ears. It’s really pixellated, but it might help an identifier understand where to focus in the large image. (I half hoped that computer vision would suggest Brown Hare as an ID for the cropped image, but its best guesses are birds.)

4 Likes

FWIW… I thought those were ears, also; but I was not confident enough to chime in until you zoomed in on the same area.

3 Likes

I agree that community ID and learning work best when observers respond to queries such as “I cant tell from the photo, how did you know?” Or “what differentiated this specimen from xxxx?”

2 Likes

Well all of the DQA do just require a single vote (unlike identification), as does the “as good as it can be”. Personally I’m not sure that should be the case. Ideally I’d like it to be possible add an id at genus level (or higher) with a “this is the best that can be done” flag so once 2 people id it like that it’d become research grade (more if there was disagreement).

I very rarely bother taking things out of my pool as there isn’t much chance of me seeing it again.

Thanks! Good idea. I’ve done that and used the original image which means it’s less pixellated. I’d forgotten the iNat doesn’t save a full resolution image. Computer vision now suggests various deer and brown hare.

Let’s end this discussion here as this is now off topic!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.