City Nature Challenge 2022

That really doesn’t answer my query - do people have to join a project to have their valid observations included in the CNC2022? I kind of remember previous years my observations were automatically added if they met the criteria?

No, you don’t have to join a CNC project for your observations to be included. However, the observer must join the project for the project’s badge to appear on the observation. eg https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/115038672

7 Likes

Ah! Gotcha! Thanks!

You can’t manually add observations to collectional project, so you may remember you joined it last year, but observations get in projects anyway.

3 Likes

That was a poor choice of words on my part, I meant to say I joined a project and then my observations showed as being added to that project. :)

1 Like

Well now that the CNC is over, that’s when the cool critters show themselves. :wink:

6 Likes

Identifiers are pretty cool, aren’t we.

6 Likes

…because we are nocturnal or crepuscular…?

3 Likes

We are. grins

2 Likes

Nocturnal AND crepuscular AND diurnal. Identifiers never sleep. (If they try to sleep, they start thinking about that weird mustard they couldn’t ID.) (or maybe that’s just me.)

7 Likes

That was a poor choice of words on my part, I meant to say I joined a project and then my observations showed as being added to that project. :)

There are multiple ways to set up a project. Some projects, like the CNC Global Project, show project member observations only. Some projects, like the CNC project for my community, show any observation made by anyone within the project boundaries or place(s). As noted, the project banner appears on an observation page only if the observer is a member of the project, regardless of how the project admin set up the project.

2 Likes

For those that are identifying and maybe want a break from their locale you can try this search URL which blends two projects, the CNC umbrella project and the Low Growth Countries and Territories and possibly help identifying even at higher levels in locales that may not have that many identifiers: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?project_id=city-nature-challenge-2022&place_id=any&apply_project_rules_for=low-growth-countries-and-territories
If you switch the view of the explorer to map view and maybe zoom in on and “Redo search in map” for your area to identify from there. Once there just insert /identify in the url between /observations and ? to get /observations/identify?project_id=

4 Likes

@tiwane can we please have an interview with La Paz in Bolivia?

We are all intrigued by their spectacular biodiversity.

7 Likes

Or dreaming about them when we do sleep!

4 Likes

1350 pages of CNC unknowns for Bolivia. Better put the coffee on. :coffee:

6 Likes

Combine that with a nearly 3000m elevational range (for the CNC area) and a NE facing aspect and you have numerous environmental niches just ripe for speciation.

Edit: Make that nearly 6000m elevational range! Just checked the map and the CNC area covers from the ice fields of Illimani to the thick forests of the Yungas. No wonder there is such huge biodiversity.

6 Likes

I mean, it’s Bolivia, even without elevation range it would have huge bioiversity just because of its placement on Earth, any big enough tropical country can be #1 in CNC, as all you need in that situation is people.

4 Likes

From what I can tell, La Paz has built up a lot of governmental and institutional support for the CNC. Even without their amazing location and biodiversity, having 2x the number of observers as the next largest city would make a huge difference!

I ran my notable observation analysis again for Vienna this year, and added the ability to filter the results to quickly find all observations made by a particular person:

https://waterpigs.co.uk/articles/citynaturechallenge-2022-wien-notable-observations/

I also made a script for prioritising ID efforts, which will list all observations in genera for which the project has no species-level observations — i.e. those for which species-level IDs are guaranteed to increase the species count!

https://waterpigs.co.uk/inat/cnc-wien-2022-priority.html

Both of these are based on iNat data exports rather than the API to reduce load, so it’s hard to automate them, but I’m happy to run them for your CNC projects — just send me a message!

8 Likes

Hi @barnabywalters! This is awesome. Anyway you could run this for LA? I know Amy and Sam would be interested, and I heard you already did it for Alison and the Bay Area!! So cool.
Lila

2 Likes

Yes I am interested, though I personally didn’t create any observations in LA county.

I would have asked for analysis of Orange County if I had permissions to update that project this year, but alas I do not.

1 Like