City Ordinances and HOA rules

I just finished reading your post about the HOA having a problem with your native plants. The only thing I noticed about ours is that the people running for president have an agenda already, usually a grudge against another neighbor. So they get their friends to vote them in and the agenda: a neighbor’s rooster, a child’s pet, among the hens, is forced to be removed. Then the president and family move out the following year. Same thing happened another time. We have weird neighbors. I’ve had a complaint about our dogs barking and they considered him a nuisance dog. That neighbor even put an alarm on his fence pointing to our yard that would go off when a nuisance bark was heard. It never went off!:rofl: Our dogs bark at people walking by, mail truck always and other dogs. That’s normal barking and we are always out there with them when they are in the back yard. A nuisance bark is a repetitive bark, evenly spaced apart and barked the same way - from 1 to ? number of barks the whole time and can last for 10 minutes or hours. I was outside with our dog and the neighbor dog was nuisance barking and we were blamed! I told the neighbor complaining that he wasn’t my dog. He didn’t believe me. His wife was even weirder!

So as previously stated, I’d also suggest getting the native plant society involved, the bees and flower groups and maybe they’ll put tables with information about their purposes and what they suggest to others to protect the bees, insects, pollinators, etc. I know that there are photos on the internet showing a grocery store full of fruits and vegetables besides a photo showing what would not be available if we didn’t have pollinators. It’s pretty powerful to make an impression on uneducated people about the importance of pollinators!

We are growing native plants after we removed invasive vines that had climbed to the top of trees taller than our home. We had dead English Ivy falling off for a year or more! When a daughter and family came to visit and she saw the amount of moss I planted in our yard, she asked if our HOA allowed it? I wasn’t worried because it saves on water, no mowing needed and hand pick the weeds. Once the moss gets thick, the weed seeds won’t be able to get a hold on the soil. Weed, water and walk! All the moss needs is misting, don’t even get the dirt wet, and walk all over it, that helps with adhesion. Luckily some yards have more moss than ours and it’s mixed in with the grass. Our neighborhood was built among trees so there are “natural areas” in between our yard and neighbors on either side, we have a corner lot! Our moss was found underneath grass that I pulled up :rofl:! Others were collected from neighbors with permission! Then we planted ECO-LAWN which is a blend of native grass seeds that you water very heavily the first year because the roots will grow down up to 18” in depth on one hillside that’s steep. After that no water is needed unless you have several days of extreme drought. The ECO-LAWN may not grow in your area yet I’m sure there’s a company that puts a mix of native grasses that does the same thing. Now we let ours grow as long as possible and once it gets so tall, the blades fall over and we have waves of green! It looks beautiful! It can be kept as a “manicured lawn” by mowing, yet you’d only need to mow it 3 times a year. I only suggested that in case the HOA gets really stuffy about needing grass paths or something to make your planting “beds” more ‘organized’. Personally I prefer a messy garden and it’s beneficial to insects. The hollow stems of dead plants are sometimes used by mason bees and other insects to hide out in winter. Other dead material is used to make bedding and nest for those that use them. And as they decompose, that benefits the soil.
Darn, that was another long post :imp: I do try to keep them shorter, it’s just that I’ve always been this way.

Hopefully, you’ve been able to get your situation settled to your satisfaction! The topic unfortunately closed yet I was hoping it was finally cleared up for you!
Remember, we do it for the birds and bees! The birds need ‘clean bugs’ to eat and not dying with pesticides on them or ingested by them! :butterfly::honeybee::lady_beetle::cricket::beetle::cockroach::fly::spider:

3 Likes