Climate change anxiety

I mean, I thought it was clear money & power meant like, lobying ability, buying elected officials that agree with you, etc. because this is what is affecting the grand scheme of things. If this is you, good on ya for making it to the 1% and using your wealth for good!

There are so many things in our world that make me anxious, so I donā€™t even want to think how many similar guides I need :smile:

Who said anything about the 1%? I said ā€œrisen out of poverty.ā€ Iā€™m talking about the vast number of people between the poverty line and the 1%.

Climate change also brings benefits. Land that was permafrost becomes farmable. Scientists are getting invaluable information about the past from what melts out of the ice.

1 Like

And a lot of lands on Earth will be unfarmable. Sadly the biggest beneficiaries of the changes in the melting of the polar regions will be companies extracting fossil fuels.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s one of the least working ideas really, when it takes you two hours to come to work by bus and subway, with bike it will take you full day if you even can ride for so long, it kinda sounds like a European idea working only in small towns, I actually like how COVID forced us to a distancing work, energy to run computers is less than what is needed to ride back and forth every day, though thereā€™re too many bad environmental consequences from this pandemic.

2 Likes

And ocean levels rise, destroying some cities and changing the way of oceanic life, farming there doesnā€™t sound like a good idea with how much youā€™ll need to do and spend just to make it real.

2 Likes

Cape Town isnā€™t looking forward to becoming 2 islands instead of a Peninsula as sea level rises. Our endemic fynbos species will lose their niche. Canā€™t go up, or South, to escape heat and drought. We already have a huge area of the country, either Karroo or Northern Cape desperately short of water - and difficult to farm.

On a trivial level - the train from Fish Hoek to Simonā€™s Town, is again today, closed due to sand on the track. Built too close to the sea all those ā€˜innocentā€™ years ago. Canā€™t move the line inland as bulk services are on the landward side. Next victim will be the coastal road ā€¦

3 Likes

One piece of invaluable information that is coming out of the melting permafrost is the huge amount of methane that is within and under the frozen ground and which is contributing greatly to the greenhouse gases in our atmosphere as the ice melts.

3 Likes

Working from home is nice is soooo many ways; the world was built for the neurotypicals and extroverts, finally we ND people have escape.

And yeah biking to work is not workable for many, for many reasons logistical and physical, was just tossing out the ā€˜sterotypical ideasā€™.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.