Computer Vision should tell us how sure it is of its suggestions

you know, part of the reason i’m asking for this is that i’m hoping it will help to demonstrate that the computer vision suggestions that come with a very high confidence level (TBD) can be trusted by the community as much as any expert’s ID. i have a suspicion that @mtank’s observation of a jump in confidence from 75% to 95% in other systems probably occurs here, too. i bet there are lots of species like blue jays, clasping coneflowers, gingkos, and peas (Pisum) that are pretty much unmistakable and are already getting very high confidence scores from iNat vision (assuming reasonable photos), and if people could just see that they could trust those very high-confidence suggestions, then i think that would lead to a world where experts here would be more comfortable shifting their attention to IDing other things.

in that future world, i can see a new filter option in Explore and Identify where an expert could pull back, say, only the observations that iNat vision has less confidence about, with the assumption that observations with high vision confidence can easily be IDed by less experienced community members, with or without the vision assistance. let the novices ID the blue jays. (it’s sort of like the concept of comparative advantage in economics. even if an expert can ID both the easy and hard stuff way faster than a novice, the novices will never be able to ID the hard stuff. so let them do the easy stuff so that the experts can move the needle on the hard stuff. and if experts want to take a break and do the easy stuff once in a while, that’s okay, too.)

12 Likes