Crazy (or strange) things you'll do for observations

Yes! https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/35485195

1 Like

Now that I think about it, I often get weird looks when scanning the walls of The Tunnel (an underground path for foot traffic underneath a train track) for arthropods and friends. Unfortunately, it’s less than 2 metres wide, so I can’t block the way with my social distancing radius right now.

5 Likes

As a side note, I didn’t realize you were able to upload gifs?

4 Likes

Yup! Here’s a project for them: https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/animated-observations

4 Likes

Sometimes I’ll be walking around with my friends and all of a sudden, I’ll walk up to a tree to photograph an interesting lichen, squat to catch a photo of a neat bug, etc. This is what happens when you have 1) a 200+ day streak going 2) a profound interest in nature of all kinds and 3) ADHD! Luckily, they seem to take it in good humor.

4 Likes

I happened to find out that you could post gifs because a friend sent me the link to a gif observation. Crazy!

3 Likes

When I was on holiday on the Isle of Man, we went up the mountain Snae Fell by electric railway. I scared the tour guide because it was so windy, and I suddenly disappeared. I was dropping to my knees to take a photo of the local plantlife, which in such a desolate location, was very close to the ground.

6 Likes

That is funny, lol.

1 Like

Craziest things I’ve done… hmmm. One of them is let mosquitoes bite a friend of mine so I could get a photos of them. Then again, that might be the craziest thing he’s done.

2 Likes

Lol, that is funny.

2 Likes

I’ve been buying cricket food at the pet store and leaving it outside the house and on the basement floor as “bait” in an attempt to find new species to photograph. Crickets aren’t the only ones that like it.

5 Likes

Lol, been there, done that. Before iNat though. I used table scraps.

1 Like

During a study of water snakes in Texas (where we needed to get measurements/data from individuals so had to catch them), found several aggregated in one spot, but didn’t have an extra snake bag to hold them, so I stuck one in my mouth to free up my hand to grab another. Need to iNat pics from that study. Those were the days.

12 Likes

Cool! What job was that? I’d be interested in that.

1 Like

Bio technician with Fish & Wildlife while I was an undergrad. Grab those summer field jobs if you can find them.

2 Likes

I definitely will. Thanks!

1 Like

Spoiler:It is rather a stupid thing. Never do that :)
A friend suggested helping his father tie up the grapes and prepare beds for his favorite tomatoes over the weekend. Why not, at the summer cottage on the banks of the Syr Darya is just fine. I took my daughter and promised my wife that everything will be fine. Everything was excellent, but after some reason I climbed into the basement to photograph toads. And there I found a young muzzle (Gloydius halys). I have to take a picture of it! Having decided that the snake is rather small and several toads, apparently already bitten, I tried to get as close as possible with a flashlight and a digital camera in my outstretched hand. The snake was scared, jumped and clawed at my finger. But now I know that the bite of such snakes is VERY untidy. And the daughter nevertheless blabbed to mother that the snake had taken father :)

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/18654955

10 Likes

Lol, that is funny!

I mean not very strange, but I’ll take walks and stop randomly to take a picture of something on the side of the road, and I’m sure if anyone drove or walked past they’d be at least slightly concerned.

4 Likes

Lol…same here. (I think I can say this for the majority of iNat users, lol.) Welcome to the forum!

4 Likes