Limit the Power to Convert "Needs ID" obs to "Research Grade"

That makes me really nervous without first recruiting more identifiers somehow. There are already so many things that haven’t even gotten one ID, the practical result of your proposals would be more eyes on things that already have 1 or 2 IDs but that attention taken away from things with no second ID yet at all. So i doubt the result would be better quality data? I think there are two root issues here: not enough identifiers, and too many ‘duress users’ or the apparently similar ‘contest users’ who dump mass amounts of stuff onto the site to win a contest but don’t bother to curate the data. I’d rather have more structural ways to deal with those. To be honest, i am starting to think classroom and contest version of Seek should be developed and used for a lot of this stuff, and iNat saved for people who want to be here to learn about nature and collect biodiversity data. The issue is not experience or training, it’s motivation and interest level. I don’t think these contests or class assignments generate enough good data to be worth adding to the main site if we can find an alternative. And we can always invite those intrigued and excited individuals to move from seek to here.

Maybe that’s kind of a controversial opinion here but… i personally believe if data quality gets bad enough, experts and power users leave or go elsewhere… and then the whole system crashes. This seems to have happened with other sites, such as Project Noah, and is probably one of the biggest pitfalls facing iNat. (imho)

6 Likes