CV suggestions are bizarre, not "visually similar" at all

I tried to get some, but as I mentioned, when I went back & re-uploaded the same photos, it was working as normal.

@alex hereā€™s a fun one, a crop of this observation, which seems to pretty clearly be a nematoceran fly.

only nearby:

not nearby:

Date & location are the same as the original:

Hereā€™s the original cropped image:
Untitled

1 Like

thanks for this @sessilefielder

in this case what seems to be happening is that the vision model is suggesting a few types of nematoceran fly that arenā€™t seen nearby, but with a relatively low confidence. the combined vision + geo score isnā€™t really helpful because there isnā€™t much meaningful overlap between vision and geo (the taxa it kinda looks like arenā€™t really seen nearby, the taxa that are seen nearby it doesnā€™t really look like).

we have some ideas for addressing this that weā€™re already working on, so hopefully cases like this wonā€™t be a problem soon.

3 Likes

Is there any data available regarding the accuracy of the CV? e.g. how many IDs that are sourced from the CV actually get agreed with, make it to RG etc. Iā€™m sure there are some more appropriate metrics but I donā€™t recall ever having seen any objective measure of effectiveness. I have always found it to be largely garbage for NZ spiders but that may just be personal experience. I have always assumed other taxa may be luckier. But is there any real proof that CV is a worthwhile feature rather than just a data damaging distraction?

It is unrelated to ā€˜luckā€™; the more training data the model has for a given species, the better it will be at recognising it. It is inarguably a worthwhile feature. It is very accurate for many many taxa, including but not limited to, birds, many fish taxa, many plants, Australian moths etc etc. Your case does not reflect the global status quo. From a very rough eyeball, just 25-30% of uploaded New Zealand spider species can even be offered as a suggestion by the CV based on their number of observations reaching the required threshold to enter the model. So the only way for there to be better suggestions is for NZ observers to upload more records of spiders, have them IDā€™ed by yourself and other experts, and have them enter the CV. The same concept applies for many taxon/area combinations globally.

1 Like

I am well aware how CV works. I am asking for stats about how well it works. It is not an inarguable feature without presenting an argument based on data. So if the data is available, please provide a link to it.

I donā€™t have hard data, but rather my personal experience/anecdotal evidence (the same as your spider example) from my IDing experience :)

2 Likes

Ken-ichi presented on our computer vision system at TDWG a few years ago, and he talked for about ten minutes on the question of ā€œis it any good?ā€.

The relevant part of his talk starts here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfbabznYFV0&t=1755s

5 Likes

Iā€™ve experienced that it works so much better now than just a couple years ago - at least, in California where there is lots of activity.

Except, I get very different results in some modes of Identify than other Identify modes. modes.

1 Like

Thanks, I will take a look.

id ID that dog as nothing more, than a certifiable, good boi,

3 Likes

Iā€™m still finding the CV is giving very erratic and random results. Itā€™s true Iā€™m not in an observation hot-bed, but one thing I would at least think would be reasonable is the following process:

Detect species from nearby DB: nothing found ā†’
Detect genus from nearby DB: nothing found ā†’
Detect subfamily from nearby DB: match ā†’ recommend
Not found ā†’ move to detect not nearby, then go up to subfamily/family that matches nearby.
(or perhaps even the other way where it first detects/confirms family/subfamily match, then tries to match deeper)

The way it currently works is to completely ignore any family likeness and go for random species and genuses based on I donā€™t even know what itā€™s so random.

Iā€™d rather a stick insect be detected as Phasmida than Blue Ringed Octopus or Pacific Baza.

On a related note, is there a way to turn off CV suggestions on the iNat UI?

specific examples would be great, thanks!

1 Like

in the mobile apps you can disable suggestions on the settings screen, the setting is called ā€œAutocomplete Namesā€

on the web you can just simply type into the ā€œspecies nameā€ field and the suggestions will be replaced with autocomplete for the text youā€™ve typed in. (this also works on mobile)

4 Likes

Iā€™ve got some uploading to do later tonight, so Iā€™ll grab some screens. Itā€™s very common so should be easy enough to get a few examples.

1 Like

thanks!

Thatā€™s a good video. Thanks for linking it.

1 Like

And if you tell CV - Diptera - then look at the CV options for Diptera?
Diptera - visual match and / or seen nearby.

@alex screenshots of odd suggestions. In these screenshots, clicking ā€˜donā€™t show nearbyā€™ will usually return something closer, but not always. As my latest obs werenā€™t from around home itā€™s a bit different again and seemed slightly better, so Iā€™ll also find a few next time I upload backyard observations. These ones are actually reasonably good compared to some Iā€™ve seen at home. Iā€™m aware itā€™s not offering ā€˜recommendationsā€™ with these, but that doesnā€™t matter for novice users as they just go with what is presentedā€¦

Here are some examples with and without ā€˜show only nearby.ā€™

Following on from my previous comment above, my question here is that when showing non-nearby guesses, it at least picked a spider wasp (among some other wasp guesses), so if that has higher confidence why does it not then suggest Pompiloidea or similar for the nearby one instead of suggesting nothing in the entire hymenoptera?

Screenshot_2023-01-30_23-11-06

Screenshot_2023-01-30_23-33-08

Previous threads:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/photo-gives-surprisingly-bad-ai-suggestion-when-location-is-specified/36840
This one has some examples from my home observations:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/some-interesting-ai-suggestions-of-late/34847