Does copyright law allow you to restrict use of your observations—the data, this is, not the photos?

I’m more interested in this from the researcher’s side. The OP’s title and many of the replies is from the perspective of the person posting the observation. If a researcher is interested in making a map of species occurrences (or some other use of the data behind the observations), does the researcher have to worry about observations in which the “observation license” is, e.g. CC-BY-ND? Do all of the observers with anything other than CCo licenses need to be attributed within the publication?

[Edit added later: I see now that this is discussed in the forum here…but without any resolution.
It just seems really odd to me that a researcher can go to a scientific museum, look at specimens with data tags, and use that data in a publication, but they can’t do the same with iNaturalist specimens. Why would iNat have decided to allow “collectors” to copyright the data of the specimens whereas a museum would not? What’s the difference?]

1 Like