DQA for specimens removed from the wild

Just a note that moderators can open old threads if there’s a good reason to do so. You can DM moderators and give a short reason. This does help to keep all relevant questions about a topic together over time. So if you find a thread in the future you have a question about or want to build on, don’t worry about asking…it’s pretty quick and easy to open!

1 Like

To be far, the definition tiwane gave for Dead included dying within an hour or two. So unless that pinned beetle was kept alive for quite some time between capture and pinning, it should probably still be marked dead.

1 Like

It’s pretty clear what tiwane meant, an injured animal on the road, not sampled insects.

Except I specifically said I was asking him about a sick animal I saw that later died, so he knew that wasn’t the only circumstance when he answered me.

1 Like

M, sick animal that died an hour later is exactly the same situation. It’s pretty clear intentional killing by observer doesn’t count.

I wasn’t asking about one that died an hour later. I was asking about one that dies an unkown amount of time later.

I observed it (sick & listless) on a Tuesday evening.
Weeks later, I learned it was found dead that Wednesday morning.

And if intentional user killing doesn’t count, then should I go back and denote the rats killed in snap traps at my relatives’ place as alive? They were alive when they triggered the trap.

[btw, tone is hard to convey in text; when I reread the above it sounds really aggressive & sarcastic, which is not my attention]

1 Like

I would say a day is close enough, though I wouldn’t care and just posted it as alive with note it died later. Traps are not specific, so unless it’s killed manually, it’s different.

I think intentional killing after an observation is made (and I specifically mean the observation, the actual encounter, here not the photo of the organism) is different because it describes something inherently different from an organism that was mortally wounded prior to the observer seeing it and is near death.

If an observer observed an organism that was alive and well prior to it being mortally wounded, though only got a photo after it was wounded, it would be very reasonable to mark it as “alive”.

In the case of intentional killing, the organism generally wouldn’t be showing signs of imminent death (though there could be cases of euthanasia that involve mortally wounded organisms subsequently being killed because of theirs wounds).

I’m not a huge fan of the wording of the annotation mouseover text here anyways, because it inherently refers to a photo, while the observation is fundamentally for the encounter. I think it would better be phrased as “Organism was alive with no evidence of imminent death”. That would also be more inclusive of sound observations.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.