Good resources for the biodiversity of eastern australia?

I have seen 1000’s of Platypus over the years and while I would not condone handling one, in the case of the photo below, this young Platypus had rested on my boot in a small stream. I did try wriggling my feet to get it to move but it just sat there. So I picked it up (only adult males have the venomous spurs and this was a very young animal), got a shot and placed it gently in the stream, whereby it went back to nosing about the rocks.

5 Likes

neat! the ones i saw were quite skittish, i definitely could not have caught one lol. i sat still for probably an hour before i saw even a ripple of one, and then sat for a while longer before they were confident enough to poke their heads out to observe and then float on the surface for a bit. such interesting creatures

1 Like

That’s usually how it goes but for some reason, those in Tasmania seem quite curious at times and it’s not unusual to have one pop up right in front of you.

Having said that, the picture above is from Victoria, my home State.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.