Handling Top Identifier Status for Deceased iNatters

Thanks for pointing this out. I honestly never thought about it. I will consider region in the future to at least help in finding the right person.

2 Likes

Done. Great idea and it will help with part of the problem.

Now if we can just add the Last ID Date for all of the Top IDers, we can help the IDers and those in need of ID help.

I think some way to signify a user has passed would be cool if itā€™s explicitly requested, but I know even that can be hard to do since itā€™s all online. If I died soon, God forbid, my son would just take my account. No note of my death would necessarily be needed because he would definitely just continue the use of the account, probably under his name instead of mine. Since he has access to it already he himself could make note of my death, and wouldnā€™t need to ask anybody. Thatā€™s a different situation since this is referring to people who have passed and nobody has touched the account since, but my idea here is that if somebody has access to the account to indicate somebody died, they have the power to do so and hopefully if they feel that thatā€™s right, then they will. Because I donā€™t know if thereā€™s a reliable way to have it happen unless itā€™s somebody who actually knew the account owner personally.

Itā€™s not really the problem with many people, whole community knows about some deaths and thereā€™s really no doubts their account is theirs, for them I donā€™t see why itā€™s not possible to do.

2 Likes

Curators can change species names with a documented source.

In the same way iNat could add a black ribbon and death date. Documented source would be a published obituary or memorial (or that personā€™s Wiki if they are there)

Flag for curation ā€¦

2 Likes

have you got a secret youā€™re not telling anyone?

fyi if you tag me and I donā€™t respond for months, probably I missed it or am sick. probably not dead. Proooooobably. :V

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.