Help me identify (non-experts welcome)

When I add images I usually tweak the order - mine are plants so - flower, leaf, wide view, different aspect of flower showing bracts, another flower colour, seeds … Don’t need 3 similar pictures of the flower, with the leaf that makes the species shuffling in at the back of the queue. Sometimes the taxon pictures are blurry … out, if I can find a better one.

5 Likes

But is it easier to find and mass correct* if sonchus obs are listed in thistles and allies than if it is in asteraceae? As long as its genus or higher and not voted ‘as good as it can be’ it isn’t affecting gbif exports or ranges

*assuming the person who does it is responsive to notifications

I think responsive users can id things like anything else, it won’t affect anything if they will withdraw it.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Help me identify Zephyranthes drummondii in Texas

Zephyranthes drummondii is a relatively large rain-lily that is in the genus Zephyranthes. It typically flowers in the Spring, and It has three lookalikes in Texas.

Identify Page
Taxon Page

Identification Tasks :

1. Confirm IDs on species-level Zephyranthes Drummondii observations. It typically has the following features :
    a. (Usually) 6 white petals
    b. anthers in a tight bundle, not protruding outside of the floral tube
    c. Stigma not extending past the anthers
    d. blue-green, often drooped leaves
  2. Kick out misidentified plants : See the guide* made by @pfau_tarleton for Texas here : https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1CUOqy8kDbBZs3vC_2yty-4gJBuWNu9kY6DEYScASus4/edit#slide=id.p

*If you are not familiar with botanical terms, here is a helpful photo :

1. As with other flowering plants, It will be helpful to also mark the “flowering” under the Plant Phenology Annotations, if the plant is flowering.

I’m planning to do a cleanup of the taxon 2023-04-04T04:00:00Z2023-04-06T04:00:00Z. If you’re interested in helping me do the cleanup of this taxon, vote in the quick poll below :

• Yes, I want to help
  • No, I can’t help

0 voters

If you want to subscribe to the Taxon, and maintain it over time, vote in the quick poll below :

• Yes, I want to help
  • No, I can’t help

0 voters

1 Like

*Please note that Z. drummondii is difficult to identify when it is not flowering, it is best to leave those observations alone unless you know what you are doing

1 Like

I’m absolutely a non-expert but I looked at the information and added some ids that seemed reasonably clear. I’m not sure really how helpful this was! I often found it hard to judge how much the anthers were protruding or not and felt more confident about the other clues (flowering time, leaves, distribution).

3 Likes

I looked through your identifications of Z. drummondii and they all appear to be correct, Nice!

EDIT :

Every identification is helpful, Thank you

3 Likes

Cool! Thanks for the feedback. I will try to do some more over the next few days.

2 Likes