Honey-vine Climbing Milkweed (Cynanchum laeve)

Another thing, literature says that Cynanchum acutum is native to the Mediterranean and Western Asia, but it does not specify if it is native to Egypt. It does act as an invasive species though, and in a garden, if left unattended it can multiply in hundreds in a short time. This has been perplexing to me, as I am a biased to all native species, and I have never witnessed a native that acts in this way.

1 Like

Here it is listed for Egypt, I saw it in Crimea and it is very abundant where it grows, so maybe it’s just how it lives. http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=5&taxon_id=210003025

1 Like

Thank you for the information you provided. I have just reviewed the Flora of Egypt and found it there! However, there is a paper on the internet made by a young botanist who studied it as an invasive species. He studied the type of soils it invaded but never specified the time it was introduced. Now I have two assumptions. Either it was introduced in ancient times from Europe and became “naturalized” because naturalized species are usually included in the flora of the country, or that it is native but started becoming a weed because of agricultural practices and the increase of salts in the soil.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.