How can you get the full list of Establishment Means for a taxon?

i think the least bad way to do it is to build off of https://www.inaturalist.org/places.json?taxon=46017.

that endpoint provides a few filters, and the one that will limit things the best initially in this case is establishment_means. we don’t care about places where the establishment means is unknown. so then you should be able to get places with establishment means (PWEM) by iterating through each of the 3 relevant establishment means and accumulating the results:

i believe the PWEM set will include places that don’t get captured in the taxon page’s establishment means section. i’m not sure what that page is doing to limit its set, but i assume it’s filtering based on some set of place_types or something like that. so then you can apply your own filter(s) on the PWEM set to exclude the places that you don’t need.

i like that you’re thinking about ways to address the problem of managing establishment means after the first 100 shown on that page. that’s been an issue for a quite a while, and never really thought too deeply myself about how to attack that problem. so if you’re making a tool to help attack the problem, that will be quite useful. (if you need any additional help with such a tool, please don’t hesitate to ask.)