How high do you prioritize living near wild areas? How big do they need to be?

I’m curious where you’re getting the data on how the vast majority of iNaturalist users describe themselves? Just curious if there was a poll in the forums or something like that. (I haven’t been around the forums much!)

Check out some of the replies above and below mine. I didn’t want to mention specific users by name in case it would be perceived as rude. Also, as @fffffffff says, there is a large thread about neurodiversity in iNaturalist and it turns out a significant number of users are introverts, on the autism spectrum, have some form of social anxiety, or all three.

2 Likes

For me it’s not necessarily the size of the wild area, but more the rules in place that govern behavior. I love CA’s north coast, but much of the public land on the coast are coastal and redwood state and national parks, which, for good reason, are replete w rules that govern behavior of visitors. After a few days of that i start to feel constrained and feel like if i’m being watched. While i certainly don’t mind rules that govern the behavior of others i tend to chafe at those that would govern mine (oh,no, i’m becoming a conservative!). but here in rural Lassen County there are extensive landscapes of public land and extensive freedoms to enjoy those lands. even though the landscape may lack the iconic views of national parks there are very cool places to discover and you are free to do pretty much what you want within some consideration of reason. No entry fees, no camping fees, no vehicle fees, no leash laws, no crowds, no park rangers, just landscapes to go traipse around in. It’s beautiful.

3 Likes

I prioritize being near nature as a must wherever I live. That being said Anchorage, AK has done it right. We have 200 miles of trails both paved and non-paved. They are all connected and we have a NWR and 2 huge wild city parks; Kincaid 1,500 acres and Far North Bicentennial Park which is 4,000 acres. Chugach State Park is the eastern edge of our city. The thing I don’t like regarding life is the 6+ months of very little diversity. It’s a small price to pay for being minutes away from sooo much. It’s a privilege to call it home.

2 Likes

I live on a 20 Ha farm in Australia with a creek, plenty of trees and forest that is fairly wild, though nowhere near pristine. There is lots of wildlife here to the extent that we have to keep the house fairly well sealed (except for screened windows and doors) or the wildlife will come in to share our house. Rats can even eat through nylon flyscreens, though aluminium flyscreen will stop them. Things like frogs, snakes and lizards, bats and mice are not welcome, not to mention legions of invertebrates. I love living with all the wildlife, just not in my house. I find that some people who visit for short stays are scared of wilderness and find the uncertain nature of what may be living out there very unsettling. Full on wilderness isn’t for everyone.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.