How-to-Use-iNaturalist Postcards

It’s definitely more limited, but if all that needs to be done is swap text and maybe shift things around a bit, a format like Google Slides is convenient as anyone can access it, save a copy, and modify without any extra software to download. And should make sure the fonts used are universally available/already “installed” (Whitney-Book and Whitney-Semibold were not on my computer).

From browsing social media responses and talking to people who come to workshops, Seek is treated more like a substitute than an onboarding process toward iNaturalist, so if the goal is promoting iNaturalist to novices, I don’t think (the current iteration of) Seek is the way to go.

• Add in the iNat bird logo?
  • I think the front should be a bit showier and simpler, more like the iNaturalist homepage or brochure (but definitely less ink intensive than the brochure).
  • On the front, either remove the graphic for signing up, or simplify by just showing the sign up page (not the log-in page, which confuses things)
  • On the back, “Coment” -->“Comment”

On the back, I find with the instructions each spread across 2 columns and the numbers in orange circles a bit busy and difficult to follow, my eyes jumping around a lot. If the example graphic is large and clear enough to read the taxon/species place, the save button, etc, I don’t think you need to additionally display the circles next to them.

What’s “basi”? Might be nice to use a widely recognizable example species and also skip out on trying to explain placeholders.

I would make it as simple as possible.

6 Likes