How will you be buried?

Wow, @mkremedios I did not know that about farm workers and hospitals! Do you by any chance have a link to that study?

1 Like

I like the idea of conservation burial. It’s basically a normal natural burial, but it takes place on a parcel of wild land that belongs to a conservation cemetery but doesn’t have permanent legal protection. From what I’ve read (and depending on local laws), by burying bodies in a conservation cemetery it becomes indefinitely protected, hopefully preventing any future destruction due to construction or natural resource exploitation on the land.

2 Likes

At my favorite data and specimen collection site in Oregon. : )
I wouldn’t mind being buried with some decomposers on me, maybe some carrion and burying beetles, and some native tenebs, and a buttload of worms. I will be the next round of fertilizer.

And maybe. Just maybe, I will get to haunt the place and get rid of anyone throwing rocks at the animals, or cutting the grass and killing off the ferns and small animals. : ) If you have read all of my replies in the forum, and remember them, you will probably figure out the location I am talking about. If you do, go ahead and email me.

Cheers!

3 Likes

I would prefer to be eaten boy coyotes and vultures, to be honest. I can see why it might be a bad idea to get coyotes used to eating dead humans, but i don’t see any reason for the meat to be wasted. Whatever does or doesn’t happen to our soul and consciousness after dying, i don’t see any point in going through extrordinary means to keep my dead body from decomposing. Cremating is a bit more appealing to me but uses a lot of energy.

3 Likes

Another reason to be given to the beetles and other decomposers.

3 Likes

“I don’t want anybody to make any fuss. When I go, I just want to be stood outside in the garbage with my hat on.” – Lou Grant, character on the old Mary Tyler Moore Show.

4 Likes

the garbage men would have an opinion on that tho

Knock on the door - garden waste is on Tuesdays. You’ll have to keep him in the green bin till next week.

4 Likes

Coming from a farm family, I think my dad would have liked the idea that i could say :“Looks like dad raised another good crop this year”. We grew apples, pears and some cherries.

4 Likes

In my country, the only alternative is natural burial and which is the best for the nature in my opinion. There is no casket or any anti-decomposing practices. There is even a phrase for it, “we came from the soil, and we will return to it”

Last year, my beloved father passed away and we buried him naturally. I’ve reserved the spot next to him so my final resting place is already fixed :)

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Nice to see you around here :)
As on the main site, happy to answer questions. You can send me a direct message if you are having trouble finding a topic :)

1 Like

Too bad that doesn’t work with at-sea burials!

1 Like

This made me think back to this thread here.
Last week my friend Jade died from a lung disease (I don’t know what specifically, I already forgot) and she had wanted to be buried along with 20 lbs. of earthworms, and as many native carrion beetles as could be found. Her mom disliked this idea, but her dad though it to be a great idea. We collected as many carrion beetles from Marion/Polk Counties as we could, and just over 21.5 lbs of earthworms.
Unfortunately I was unable to attend her funeral o’ arthropoda, but I did assist with finding 20 random carrion beetles (rotting meat baited traps) and then passing those on to her family for her special request.

Hope you’re still having fun with click beetles wherever you are now Jade.

8 Likes

I think that in the future, green burials will become very common, I saw a video done by Vox, that talk about that. Basically, we need to change how we bury people, for various reasons, very sorry for your loss.

3 Likes

Here is a timely article on this topic.
https://massivesci.com/articles/ecofriendly-cremation-burial-eternal-reefs-sustainability-earth-day/?utm_source=drip&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Heat+(07-01-21%2C+Max)+&utm_content=It's+getting+hot+in+here+đŸ„”

I just need to say that directly feeding your body to predators is a very bad idea! We do NOT want predators to associate human smells and human remains with food. Predators are unfairly hated enough as is. If they start digging up people’s loved ones from cemeteries or, even worse, attacking live humans, then the already low level of support they receive will plummet even further. There are other ways to return to nature in death without causing problems.

My own mother’s plan, and mine, is to be cremated and have our ashes mixed in with trees, probably with some little memorial marker to go along with them. Trees grow and feed small animals which then feed wolves (and other things!), so same effect in a manner much less likely to cause problems.

I am sorry for your loss. I wish you well in making peace with it.

4 Likes

It seems to me that rather traditionally, as in Catholic Poland, a coffin burial; maybe they will cremate me; time will tell 

2 Likes

Sorry I know I’m a bit late for this discussion, but I am very passionate about death plans and (for me) green burial! If you want a good overview of several options at varying budgets/ other general death discussion I would really suggest ‘Ask a Mortician’ on youtube.
She’s very informative, friendly, and lays out some of the options for burial and whatnot.

2 Likes

When considering the kind of fate for your body, it might not be so green to be fed to the wolves, coyotes or fish when you find out how many toxins are in your body. National Geographic among others has an article on this. Pesticides, flame retardants, plastics, mercury fillings, medications/pharmaceuticals, you name it. In the human world we are exposed to human compounds and those make their way into our bodies. Safest place for most of us when it comes to the environment might be your local dump (I’m joking but maybe). Bioaccumulation of these toxins is also a problem for longer lived and larger species like us.
As for me, also wouldn’t mind just being left to nature and buried in an unmarked spot on my land even though that’s illegal. As for what I just mentioned, I live an exceptionally “clean” life compared to others. I don’t really have anyone who will miss me when I die to have any funeral, service or even spread my ashes or anything so I could just go out somewhere far away in nature, however, that might be unlikely. I’ve been close to death already and could die any day but hopefully there will be these green burial options more widely available by the time I go and I will have that setup.

3 Likes

That is an excellent point! I hadn’t thought about the medications and whatnot in the body, and that is something I’m going to take in account to my death plan moving forward.
I’m sorry for jumping in again, but if you happen to live in the U.S there is a high likelyhood that you could be buried on your land. There are 4 states or so you must be buried in a cemetery, but all of those (except D.C) can actually be worked around with permits. If you are out of the U.S green burials are definitely still an option! There is of course other hurdles (as always) but it might be something worth checking out.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.