ID-athon May 2021! (and Mentorship Program)

Will you be needing observations without IDs of the species listed in the projects (domesticated stuff)?

No, the species in the project have nothing to do with the event; they’re just silly ones for fun. The project is only used as a means of writing journal posts. We can’t put real observations in it because is not possible to have a project collect observations based on identifer instead of observer.

(Although I think a lot of people would use that feature if it existed. Feature request anyone?)

3 Likes

As Amy said – the project is essentially a way for users to subscribe to updates.

Last time the observations were of my cat. This time we’ve set it up so that any project member can have their pet added to the project :)

There are iNatters who enjoy coding and finding URLs to fit. Put the query up - How do I … and wait for the answers to roll in. If you get enough response, make it a feature request (if an URL can’t?)

1 Like

;) we are doing exactly that, only behind the scenes. @radak has been doing a large part of that work. She’s great.

ps only a few more hours to sign up if you haven’t!

1 Like

Um so we’ve actually run out of mentorship slots because apparently a million people wanted to sign up at the last second. This is great! But also, please bear with me it’ll take a bit to update the post and everything.

6 Likes

I’m closing sign-ups 90 minutes early, aka now. Sorry guys.

4 Likes

Which time does this start. The local time zone of the person who put the ID or a specific time zone.

London time.
Check out the project’s FAQ journal post.

https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/id-athon-may-2021/journal/49842

i think London is UTC+1 right now. i think you all actually mean GMT or UTC.

I did mean UTC+0, good point. Time zones are a real pain. As is Daylight Savings Time is general.

Too early for me to be capable of actual thinking though. And our programmer, of course, only went to sleep at 3am. But if there are any questions about the exact parameters and calculations I can ask her when she wakes up.

4 Likes

The event has started! If you haven’t yet, please join the project and/or the Discord server

2 Likes

I don’t think this is a link

1 Like

Fixed!

1 Like

Was there an announcement of the location? I didn’t see one.

Check the project journal.

1 Like

It is a long list of countries which have a medium number of observations and IDs: Albania, Algeria, Armenia, Austria, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Botswana, Bulgaria, Chile, Croatia, Cuba, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominican Republic, Eswatini, Fiji, Georgia, Greece, Guam, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Norway, Pakistan, Puerto Rico, Romania, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Tanzania, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

More might be added later in the week, depending on our rate of IDing.

4 Likes

here’s a link that includes unknowns in all those countries

and yes, if you want updates please look at project journals there’s a lot there and more will be added through the event

I’m a member of the project and I registered, but I’m not in the list of members. Help?

1 Like

Yes, sent a message